Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The muffler on my '99 Forester is rapidly deteriorating- Rusting around where the tail pipe meets it. The car is very loud and I don't want to be pulled over in some of the uppity towns we drive through. Is there a tape patch for this problem? I understand it's only temporary fix, but is it worth a try? The car seems to have more power this way, or am I imagining it do to the noise.

Thanks for any pointers.

I got this one exhaust patch goop somewhere, I think it was at napa, that seems to work pretty good on smaller leaks. It has sodium silicate and a bunch of warnings all over it. But for a bigger leak some kind of wrap would be needed as well.

Fortunately the exhaust isn't going to be quite as hot way back that way as it would be further upstream in the exhaust system. So in the way back I have had good luck with JB Weld or the similar epoxy products bridging even 1/2" holes or so if you wait for it to harden a little bit before smoping it on. Or you can get some wire mesh mixed in there like hardware cloth or something to help support it while it hardens.

You might be noticing more power with a leaky exhaust, I had noticed that too on '00obw when the donut was gone out. Because then there is less restriction on the exhaust gases which means the engine spends less power pumping out the exhaust, which leaves that power for driving the transmission vroom. You could put in those side exhaust cutouts like the muscle cars. Then when they want to do a fast take off the open the cutouts, then once you're cruising they close them again so it's quiet.