Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 outback legcy-Whines\garbles on acceleration!!

My 98 has a bad rear main seal. It has been heavily leaking for over a year. Could this have led to a whining output bearing? It's causes vibration around my automatic shift lever in the cabin. There is also a distinct 'roller coatster' noise a lot of the time. It often sounds like something's rattling aroung when accelerating. Any ideas??:-\ Trev

I don't think an engine oil leak would necessarily cause those symptoms, unless perhaps you ran it low enough that the oil pump sucked air for a period of time. Is your front diff gear oil level correct? Maybe there is an issue there or somewhere else in the drive line.

Chances are it is the oil access cover, and not the rear main seal that is leaking. They are close to each other so often people assume it is the RMS. Members who work on soobs regularly have reported that the RMS doesn't usually leak.

The oil separator on many engines in that era was plastic. To fix the leak, an upgrade to a metal separator with new screws is required.

I'm not sure, I've never actually done this job. Those are just pics I have accumulated of it. There are threads on engine pulling on here I am sure. It is relatively straightforward. The hardest part seems to be making sure you got all the bolts out holding the engine to the trans, and then sometimes the engine to trans dowels stick. And for reassembly if you pulled the torque converter, making sure it is seated correctly so that you don't crack the ATF pump.

If you are going to do the RMS, you must make sure it is bang on or it will leak is what I have seen others saying. Often it is suggested that unless the RMS is actually leaking, to just leave it alone, since there is more risk of it leaking after replacement if it isn't perfect.