Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 Legacy Wagon: Right Turn Hesitation

My 02 Legacy Wagon has started acting strangely when I make any hard right turn. Once the turn is in motion, the car loses power and seems like it might stall. Once straight, the car does resume normal power, but only after a significant drop in pick up. It does not do this when turning left. Any ideas?

Well, I'd guess that you could try monitoring fuel pressure (with an add on gauge) as you make a right turn in case there's something strange going on inside the tank (hole in pickup sucking air as the fuel sloshes, etc.)

The other possibility is that the body flexes slightly on a turn and an electrical connection somewhere is being disrupted.

I think the first possibility is more likely.

Does it do it all the time or just when you're below a quarter tank of gas? I had that same problem and it was because the fuel pump had come off of the bracket that holds it in place.. causing it to "float." Right turns would allow gravity to move all the fuel away from the pump and suck air for a second.. causing the bogging effect.. then once going straight the fuel would level off again and act normal...

Fuel pump pickup/strainer has come dislodged from the pump or the pump is not attached to the bracket. Just fixed this exact same issue on a '97 Legacy. Someone had replaced the pump and discarded the pickup/strainer. I replaced the entire assembly with a good used one from the u-pull-it for $35.

Only does it turning right because the pump is on the right side of the tank so when you turn right the fuel goes to the left and the pump sucks air.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder