Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 swap - smokes and knocks

so i put the exhaust on expecting the car to run quieter than the first test last week, but nooooo. the exhaust is quieter but it still makes a racket. and it's not valve tick either, although it has that too. it's loudest on the bottom right behind the oil filter, so i think i'm screwed.

it also smoked when i was driving it, white smoke. but i doubt that matters since it knocks.

i tried pulling the plug wires one at a time, but all i heard was the crack of the spark jumping to the intake. maybe a stethoscope would help.

history, 95 ej22 w/ 125k from a salvage yard. it came with a broken right side cam shaft, which i replaced. all new timing components and seals front and rear. i even put some marvel mystery oil in with the fresh oil.

i'm not quite ready to give up on it yet, but i am not optimistic.

any suggestions??

White smoke could be a bad PVC.

But that might be the least or your problems. :-\

My daughter's 97 2.2 has piston slap, but it's the typical one that decreases as it warms up it's not a knock.

Edited by Suzam
I suck at spelling.

How many miles have you put on it?

MMO often helps make them quiet - I just change oil shortly thereafter.

Also are you SURE there wasn't a bunch of crap in the exhaust from the old engine?

Hate to see you chasing a problem that doesn't exist.

They can make lots of noise for quite a while. I heat cycle them twice to check the coolant (you know how tempermental the 2.5's are). Then take for a SPIRITED drive after it warms up for a few minutes. If that doesn't help I add MMO and do it again. Usually that does it.

I've pulled many engine from the yard and only got one with a bad rod bearing, that one the filter was crushed. I rolled the dice on the engine thinking it may have happened at the yard. No such luck.

Was the car in a crash, I like those the best as you can pretty much say they were running when it happened.

Pull the injector connectors one at a time and see if the sound changes.

My daughter's 97 2.2 has piston slap, but it's the typical one that decreases as it warms up it's not a knock.

if this is piston slap i'll be really surprised. i have that in my 97 obw. i have never heard of piston slap in a pre-97 ej22. i thought the lighter, shorter piston was part of the cause.

if you're sure it's knocking then the motor sounds hosed doesn't it?

broken camshaft - like the entire thing was broken or just the sprocket? if it was sheared off then maybe because of oil starvation?

the car was hit on the right front and the shaft was broken about 2" behind the cam sprocket. at one point i thought it may have been oil but there was no indication of scoring or heat on either the broken shaft or the head. could the accident cause a bad rod or other internal problems?

How many miles have you put on it?

Also are you SURE there wasn't a bunch of crap in the exhaust from the old engine?

no miles to speak of, i tested the engine without the exhaust and didn't actually drive it until i got the cat pipe welded and re-installed. so maybe 5 miles. i'm a little worried to drive it too far with the knock. i don't much want to have to tow it.

what do you mean about "a bunch of crap in the exhaust"? causing smoke?

Pull the injector connectors one at a time and see if the sound changes.

will do. i can only hope.

thanks for the help. it may be a few days before i get back to it.

Edited by johnceggleston

If there is no metal in the bottom of the pan then it is unlikely to be a main or rod bearing.

By the sounds of it - the noise and the smoking - I would guess a broken ring/worn cylinder and possibly a piston slap issue.

That is just a guess though. I would say tear it down and have a look - or just replace it. Bad EJ22's aren't that common.

GD