Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i was looking online for a replacement (swapout) motor for my '91 lego and found another ej22 on C.L. for 500 bucks- its off a '99 Forester (linky)

the ad says its a 8-Bolt? I was wondering what that meant. and would it still bolt on to my '91? I'm sure I'll have to take electronics and possibly the intake off my old engine to make this work but more importantly would the engine work for me?

-Justin

I'll double check, but I don't think the EJ22 was ever offered in the Forester. I think they're ALL EJ25's.

** EDIT **

Just looked at your link. That motor is advertised as being from a 99 Legacy. I'm clue-free as to his meaning on the 8-bolt thing. I think he's likely full of you-know-what and wants to make his engine sound moar awsummer than it is so that he can justify asking $500 for it.

Edited by Scoobywagon

I'm sure they are referring to is the bellhousing bolt count. There are some differences in the intake manifold and a few other things. I will try to dig up some links, I'm sure the swap could be done but another early legacy engine would be a lot easier to swap.

It's a Phase II ej22.

will bolt in to the 91 leagcy, but you will hjave some troubel hooking it up.

The Phase II use different heads and intake.....not interchangable with the Phase I electronics. SO you'd have to swap throttle bodies., wiring harness and sensors, and disconnect or at least modify the IAC system.

Not worth the trouble

get a phase I engine......easier

Gloyale has your answer.

8 bolt doesn't matter, but the Phase (year specific) does. An 8 bolt 98 would be fine, but not this one.

EJ22 wasn't offered in the forester. So it's either an EJ25 or swapped to an EJ22. Either way though it's a Phase II engine which is a very difficult swap even though it'll bolt up, the wiring and MAP verses MAF changes are going to require customizing to work around. Not for the average DIY person.

I believe it will work if you use your current intake and harness.

I swapped a 97 EJ22 into a 93 Imp and had no issues, it still runs fine.

'97 is still phase I. '99 is a totally different animal - it's basically a SOHC EJ25 with the EJ22 bore and stroke..... plugs in valve cover's, 8 bolt BH, etc.

And it's definitely worth the price being asked if it's a good runner. Probably more. '99 5 speed's go for $800+..... engines are more than transmissions as a general rule. Yes - an older engine could be used in it's place but most people don't know that and as such the 8 bolt 22's are rare and rareity is considered in price.

If the 99 has a knock sensor, make sure your 91 did. If not, you will need to swap ECU's.......and have more wiring issues.

All USDM EJ's have knock sensor's as far as I know. Including EJ22E's from the 90 to 94 days. I've had to replace them on more than one occasion :rolleyes:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

All USDM EJ's have knock sensor's as far as I know. Including EJ22E's from the 90 to 94 days. I've had to replace them on more than one occasion :rolleyes:

GD

How would that explain the 97 I swapped into the 93?

The 93 didnt have the wiring for it either. I asked several knowledgeable people and they told if it didnt have one, dont worry about it.

If it did require one and I didnt install it, it would have grenaded long ago.

How would that explain the 97 I swapped into the 93?

The 93 didnt have the wiring for it either. I asked several knowledgeable people and they told if it didnt have one, dont worry about it.

Hhhmmm - that's pretty strange. But yeah - if it's not there then I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't seen that myself.

If it did require one and I didnt install it, it would have grenaded long ago.

Wouldn't grenade - the ECU would just complain and pull some of your ignition timing to prevent detonation. It would run fine otherwise. It's all about the ECU you use I suppose. I know that all the 90 to 94 EJ22's have the knock control system. I guess later stuff is not always equipped - that's pretty lame actually :-\.

GD