Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys - you've been so helpful in the past that I'm here again to pick your brains. I need to replace the rotors on my 2001 Forester. My question is, what to buy? I've looked on-line at the local auto parts stores as well as called the Subaru dealer. They range in price from $35 up to $90 each. I'm totally confused now and I don't know what to buy. I expect the Subaru dealer to be more expensive but not by so much. Is it necessary to get the official Subaru rotors or can I go with less expensive ones?

Thanks so much!!!

Hello. For just normal passenger car stop and go rotors I think the parts store rotors are acceptable. The Subaru rotors seem to work well and when ordered based on VIN# they always fit right the first time. One thing I like about the cheaper say $25 rotors is that if I have problems with them such as rust (sometimes my soobs sit for a while), then it's not too expensive to just replace them. It's hardly worth the price of getting rotors turned at that price. The tricky part with parts store rotors seems to be getting them to give you the right size (since soob changed them around a lot and would use up their old stock and then mid model year change to a different size etc).

I just replaced all four rotors on my 990BW about a week ago. I bought mine at Advance Auto Parts. It is pretty cool to go on line, buy the parts, then pick them up at the store. Sometimes, they offer an extra 10-20% off by buying on line, that they don't offer on store purchases. I call the store after purchasing on line to make sure they have the part in stock, and they always have. Then, just stop by the store, give them my name, they hand me the parts, and it is out the door. Don't think I even have to pay sales tax.

Recent rotors cost about $35, and offer a 2 year warranty. Rotors fit real nice, and work real well. Don't think the dealer sells rotors with a warranty.

Depends - are you heavy on the brakes? Some people (especially some Women I've noticed :rolleyes:) are heavy brake users - tailgating and braking constantly on the freeway and not using any compression braking at all.... this wears them very quickly. If you think you drive like a maniac then get the good one's and make sure the lug nuts are torqued properly - this may stave off the inevitable warped rotor problem.

If you are a light brake user that never has problems with rotor warpage, and you properly torque the lug nuts, etc - the cheaper stuff usually works fine. Eventually they usually warp and the better quality stuff lasts longer before it does - but then again they are three times the price and probably don't last three times as long..... just depends on what you want.

Personally I buy the cheap one's for my vehicles and if I have to go in and replace one, etc it's still cheaper than having them turned and they are brand new every time I do a major brake job.

OEM will last longer with heavier use, will be worth turning down when they do eventually warp or wear, etc. But the pads won't last any longer and replacing the rotors is an extra 2 minutes to the brake job......

Judgment call.

GD

i typically keep Subaru rotors if i can by having them turned. but i'm also lucky that the shop across the street from my office does it for $15 so it's easy.

i'd rather have a turned Subaru rotor than a cheap aftermarket that uses inferior steel.

that being said, i've had no problems using the cheap aftermarket rotors and have done so gobs of times. i've had plenty of warped rotors to contend with but newer gen subaru's are known for that and i've never had an indication on which warp more.