Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt tensioner roller between 2.5/2.2

Does anyone know if the timing belt tensioner roller of the 2-piece (old style) tensioner assembly is the same part for 96 OBW's 2.2 and 2.5 engine? I found 2 part #: 13069AA037 and 13069AA063. Subaru dealer told me they're different but Import Expert told me it's the same. This is the round roller, not the compressible adjuster. I need to know if they are interchangeable.

Does anyone know if the timing belt tensioner roller of the 2-piece (old style) tensioner assembly is the same part for 96 OBW's 2.2 and 2.5 engine? I found 2 part #: 13069AA037 and 13069AA063. Subaru dealer told me they're different but Import Expert told me it's the same. This is the round roller, not the compressible adjuster. I need to know if they are interchangeable.

rumor has it that the blocks are the same, but if you want to put the old style tensioner on an engine that has the new style you will need the"mounting bracket" as well. so the change date and the part number are meaningless, if you have access to the brackets.

i have not done this but it is likely just around the corner for me. i really don't know if the old or the new or both has a bracket, but the tensioner matches the bracket, the blocks are generic.

13069AA037 looks to be for the 2.2L up through around 1997. 13069AA063 looks to be for the 2.5L dohc Outback 96-98 and Forester '98. Not sure off hand what the differences are. It's possible theimportexperts has a version that works in either application. They sell a lot of timing parts for Subaru's and many people on this board have used them so I am thinking they know it will work in that application.