Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've had a two problems develop with in a week of each other.

The first is a shudder at low speeds, right before the car shifts to second gear. Other wise it runs fine. All the vacuum lines appear to be connected.

The second is the occasional ping sound when I back up in reverse, and sometimes when I put it in drive right afterward.

Any help appreciated!

And in case it's relevant....

1997 Legacy Outback

2.5L Auto

226,000 miles

King springs

throttle body bypass.

No CEL

Edited by sario

Hm.....just throwing this out there on a whim, did you happen to have either front axle replaced lately?

I didn't even think about that!

I did reboot one about 10,000 miles ago. I have no clue how long it was torn before i noticed it. What’s the best way to check one of those? Just wiggle it around and see if its loose?

• 3 weeks later...
Any CEL?

Recent Maint history on the car?

Does the car push through the shudder or does it affect performance?

Any flashing lights on startup?

Does it happen at a shift-point?

WHat happenes if you manually shift the car?

Recent Maint history on the car?

In the last 4,000 miles

New battery

Rebooted a axle then the same axle was replaced

5,000 miles ago.

engine removed so oil the pan seal could be replaced.

Does the car push through the shudder or does it affect performance?

it pushes right through it, and there is no performance loss i can tell

Any flashing lights on startup?

None

Does it happen at a shift-point?

yes. Only at the end of first gear, right before it shifts to second. It only happens in first gear. it IS worse starting on a hill

WHat happenes if you manually shift the car?

I'll have to let you know that one tomorrow.

Edited by sario

DO the manual shift thing and drive past the RPM where the problem occures. Shift below it, at it, and above it and let me know what happens.

How long has the car been doing this?

About two weeks. I'll go for a drive now. I'll let you know it Ten.

DO the manual shift thing and drive past the RPM where the problem occures. Shift below it, at it, and above it and let me know what happens.

If i start out in second i CAN feel it there.

If i shift to second before it hits 1800 i don't think i can feel it.

If you shift at it, it goes away.

shifts just fine above it

Start with flusshing the fluid. FLushing forgives all sins in a sooby. How many miles again?

227,000. I change the fluid about every 15,000 miles(drain and refill). Do you mean i should have a power flush done at mechanic shop?

227,000. I change the fluid about every 15,000 miles(drain and refill). Do you mean i should have a power flush done at mechanic shop?

Respond to this fro me so i get emailed on it, but it is late, my brain is fried, lets pick this up tomorrow

Give the U-joints a wiggle too. Not a real common problem with Subs but they do wear out.

They seem fine. But i've been thinking about taking them off to get a better look. Thanks for the ideal

You did not have to drop the pan, sometimes that just makes things worse.

This may have nothing to do with it, but put the FWD fuse in and report back.

I'm going to have check that in a day or two. A local guy is making a front bumper to replace the one that got tore off on a bad road. I hope you all are still be available to help then.

Thanks

Edited by sario

• 2 weeks later...

Well the problem went from all-the-time to intermittent. :-\ That’s why I haven’t been bumming for help. I'm going to try replacing the other front axle. It's an OEM remanufactured that's been in there for about 30,000 miles. I really doubt it's the problem, but I’m not sure what else it could be. If the problem goes back to being consistent I’ll try the FWD fuse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well the problem went from all-the-time to intermittent. :-\ That’s why I haven’t been bumming for help. I'm going to try replacing the other front axle. It's an OEM remanufactured that's been in there for about 30,000 miles. I really doubt it's the problem, but I’m not sure what else it could be. If the problem goes back to being consistent I’ll try the FWD fuse.

We'll the problem came back, worse than before. So i put the FWD fuse in, and it seemed to disappear. I guessed that nippers test was suggesting the \ drive line so i gave it another look. After pulling the exhaust off i found a broken transmission mount. The problem is found and fixed now :)

Thanks for everyone’s help!