Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust leak between resonator and muffler - 99 Legacy GT

Hey guys,

I've come once again to pick your brains about an exhaust leak I've been experiences for a few months.

The leak is coming from the exhaust pipe, between the resonator and the muffler. There is a weld there that seems to be giving way and as a result the car sounds horrible. Even people that know nothing about cars ask what the hell is wrong with it when I start the car. The check engine light is also on, probably due to the cat not functioning efficiently.

The local, corner mechanic, diagnosed the problem as being semi-serious because if the pipe breaks while I'm driving, it could puncture the floor and cause serious damage. I was quoted up to $1000 in parts and labour. He told me that I'd have to buy the entire section of pipe which includes the cat and resonator. Apparently, this part comes already all welded together from the factory.

My question is, is it possible to simply have the pipe re-welded where the leak is located? I want to fix this as cheaply as possible because it is an old car and don't plan on driving it for too much longer.

As always, your insight is much appreciated. Thank you gentlemen.

Cheers!

I had a leak back in that general area. If it's not too large a hole, and you want to fix it as cheaply as possible, I have had good luck with making sure the area is clean and wire brushed, then slathering it with JB weld. You can get the JB weld cheaper in the larger packages such as the IndustroWeld. If it's a big hole, just let the JB weld start to set up a little first so it is thicker, or cover the hole with some hardware cloth or wire mesh.

I looked into JB Weld and it seems like a decent option considering the hole is not that big. It's more like a slit right at the seam on the pipe, rather than an actual hole.

The only thing that concerns me is that it only resists temps up to 500F. But since I'm looking for a cheap fix, it sounds like a viable option. And it looks like something I can easily do myself. I will consider that if no other cheap options are available.

Thanks for the quick reply porcupine73!

On mine it was on the gasket between the muffler pipe and the next pipe up. I saw the 500F statement, but way back there I doubt the exhaust is 500F. Even if it gets above 500F I'm not sure what happens to it; even if it fails it's just going to leak again.

Mine has held up very well for about a year and a half now. I took the pipes apart and replaced the gasket with a new genuine, but the pipe flanges were too rusty so it still leaked. JB weld to the rescue!

That mid pipe does not have the CAT on it. The exhaustsystem has the Y pipe bolted to the CAT's and they bolt to the mid pipe that has the resonator. That bolts to the muffler.

If you want to fix it permenantly, I have a mid pipe and I can check on shipping to you.

If the rest of the pipe isn't TOO rusty you can just cut a section out and weld a new section in. I just did that last week on my legacy, actually. The pipe rusted in half on a previous weld. I got a section of pipe from napa for about $4, pulled off my exhaust, welded a new section in and done! Cheap fix! Also, I don't understand how the exhaust could puncture the floor by coming loose... that doesn't make sense to me.

Worse case scenario is it comes completely loose (I went over a bump and the vibration broke it...). In that case it'll just be loud, but won't harm anything except your ears...

Have a new piece welded in or try the JB weld, or metal and hose clamps with some muffler patch stuff.

FYI the exhaust has a pretty hard mount probably just before this piece you speak of (hard to tell without a diagram) and a rubber mount probably shortly after your hole, and another rubber mount at the rear. The possibilities of having it hit the floor are extremely remote based on what you've stated. Now if the rubber band kinda looking part of the mount or either stud (on the exhaust or body) is missing there might be a possibility.

I had a leak back in that general area. If it's not too large a hole, and you want to fix it as cheaply as possible, I have had good luck with making sure the area is clean and wire brushed, then slathering it with JB weld. You can get the JB weld cheaper in the larger packages such as the IndustroWeld. If it's a big hole, just let the JB weld start to set up a little first so it is thicker, or cover the hole with some hardware cloth or wire mesh.

Never even knew about this stuff:

http://jbweld.net/products/index.php