Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello. The first question is what is the weight of the trailer fully loaded. That is required info to select a tow vehicle. If the trailer is more than 1000 lbs typically trailer brakes are suggested.

Are they looking to buy new or used, and if used what year range? From there you can look at towing capacities. For 01+ Outbacks for example, the H6 would be my choice for a tow vehicle. If it's a heavier trailer like over 2000 lbs might want to look into the 3.6L Tribeca's, etc.

As an RVer with a 24' travel trailer with experience towing with the wrong vehicle, I can safely say that research is needed before anyone selects a tow vehicle for anything, short of a very small cargo trailer or lightweight boat.

You have to look at the towing capacity of the intended tow vehicle, weight and size of the trailer, tongue weight and more. There are web sites and articles on RV sites devoted to this and should be completely researched before any decision is made. You can interchange the info to a non RV trailer very easily because the info is basically generic to any vehicle and trailer. Towing with the wrong vehicle can be disasterous. You can do powertrain damage to the vehicle and safety is a major consideration.

A big problem is that both vehicle and trailer sales people will tell you want they want to just to make the sale. Never trust them. I went through this when we traded up our pop-up for a travel trailer. My truck at that time towed the 8' pop-up just fine but was totally unsuited for the larger and heavier TT. The salesman at the RV dealer assured me that it was ok. I found out differently on the way back when we picked it up. I felt that we were going to wreck at any moment even with the proper towing accessories attached. The truck also struggled more than I expected it to. Learned a hard lesson here and later found untold accounts online of the same experiences.

Have them do their homework first away from the dealership. It could save them a lot of money if not their lives.

I have to admit that I don't think I'd buy ANY Subaru for an application where I knew I'd be towing with it regularly. Not that they can't or won't, they just aren't designed for it. Having said that, yes, my wife's 01 Forester has a hitch on it and, yes, I occasionally tow with it. But the towing we do is little to no weight and not generally more than an hour or so each way. Anything heavier or longer than that and I'm getting out the Ford.

a 1000 lbs trailer is kind of like having a large family of 5 and all of their vacation luggage. not unreasonable. but you have to ask, what else is in the car? people? luggage?

i hate to turn anyone away from a subaru and i would like to think it could do the job nicely. if the trailer had electric brakes and the car had an ATF cooler i would consider it. but i would probably not drive much over 65 mph.

I'm sure a Tribeca could do it as well as the H6 OBW. 1000 lbs of trailer isn't unreasonable for a Subaru but if it were going to be a regular occurance then I would want something with one of the H6's for the power. Transmission cooler and engine oil cooler (if not already equipped) would be an absolute must IMO - cheap insurance.

GD

OK thanks for the info the trailer is about 1000lbs loaded (it carries a golf cart loaded with supplies) and it would be most days that it tows so I'll recommend something else then.

I think that's fine for a Subaru. Most are rated for 1000 lbs without even trailer brakes. With brakes most are rated 2000 lbs or more (in the US anyway). http://www.cars101.com would tell you all the ratings. If they're towing it a lot, yes an H6 Outback let's say should be plenty adequate. Or if they are looking new, the 3.6L Tribeca should haul that without any problems.

yeah it doesn't have trailer brakes and the car would most likely have supplies in it (like pizzas, coolers with ice, hot dog buns etc.) and yeah I was thinking a Tribeca would probably be best. they would most likely want an automatic cause they are lazy like that, but do you just install an engine oil and transmission cooler?

The car may have them from the factory but stock coolers are generally not adequate for frequent towing. After market coolers are commonly installed on all forms of vehicles and are easy to find/install.

1000lb trailer plus cargo in the tow vehicle, the Tribeca would probably be the smartest choice but I would try to find out if anyone else is towing the same weight with a Tribeca and what troubles, if any, they have had with it.

Worst comes to worst they have to buy a truck.

Joe comes through again, check out this link: http://www.cars101.com/subwarr.html#capacity

The Tribeca loooks to be rated up to 3500 lbs with a trans cooler, 2000 lbs without, and 1000 lbs in harsh conditions (including no trailer brakes). So it looks like it would tow the golf cart and stuff no problem.

My only issue with the Tribeca is price. That thing goes 30k+ which is quite a bit above the Outback. But of course maybe not so much above the H6 models though.

The later Outbacks 2005+ look to be rated quite well for towing too. Hm there might be later Outbacks that got the 3.6L H6 too, that's rated pretty nice.

It says Subaru doesn't recommend towing with a Legacy on Joe's page.

Forester can tow too.

The Baja it shows can tow 2400 lbs; you'd have to get used since they don't make those anymore.