Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 92 Legacy Sedan 2.2l AWD tranny noise on accel

Hi guys,

Pretty sure I know what this is, but just want a confirmation. Picked up a 92 Legacy AWD sedan w/ 217k miles on it for 600 bucks the other day. I currently drive a lightly modified 95 Mustang GT as my daily driver and that's not the most gas efficient car and its USELESS in the wet and especially snow. I'm excited for this car, as it seems like a very comfortable ride. Drove it 105 miles home with no problem, and it looks like this guy took great care of it. Dirtier inside than it is under the hood, which is cleaner than my well taken care of stang :eek: Up to date NAPA service stickers all over the place indicate that it was well taken care of, I spy new plugs, wires, EVAP system, fresh coolant, fresh oil, filter & air filter, and he said he had the rear diff and one of the front axles replaced. Needs a muffler and a repair in the windshield.

Here's my question:

With the clutch out in neutral at a standstill, or while accelerating in gear, I hear a bearing noise relative to engine RPM. Input shaft bearing? Push the clutch in in neutral and it goes away. I really don't want to rip anything apart on this car yet so I was gonna drive it and see if it got worse. It doesn't affect how it runs, I'm just anal. It's fine once you get up to speed, can't even hear it.

Second question... shifter is sloppy as all get out. Front and back is fine, but side to side has like 4 inches of play while in gear. Having a short shifter in the stang, this is very noticeable and annoying. Inspected everything from inside the car today, all is well. Will get under it eventually, but what can I expect to find?

Thanks guys!

- Josh

Hi Josh welcome to the board and congrats on your soob! Not sure about the noise you are hearing, but the sloppy shifter at that age and mileage she needs a new set of shifter bushings. They wear out and dry rot with age. Replacing them is a little challenging but doable, and makes the shfiter nice and tight again.