Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SUBARU GL MODs

thekelby

I have a 1988 Subaru GL coupe and i dont have the money to do a swap from an EA82 to an EJ engine so I want to just do some upgrades

I am going to get trailing arms, and a rear sway bar off a GL Turbo and throw those on

but i also wanted to add a turbo, intercooler, and a strut brace so im curious what i should get, how i would do it, and such

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated THANKS

Rear sway bar is a good upgrade - that will definitely help with cornering.

The rest is useless. A strut brace won't do squat to that flimsy body with 90 HP, and a turbo will just blow the engine apart. They are too fragile, too high compression, and I doubt you understand what's involved in a turbo swap anyway. Not to mention - if you don't have the money for an EJ - then you definitely don't have the money to do a turbo (not and keep the heads from shooting out the side of the car).

You can do a decent EJ22 swap for about $1,000. But you could also just buy a good condition Legacy for the same money. It's about what you want and quite frankly there's no good reason to want an EA82 body unless you just like the way they look and like burning up cash to put the EJ drivetrain in one. Basically they are a huge waste of time and effort with Legacy's getting so cheap. There is a small niche for people that off-road and must have a wagon but that's about the only good use I can think of for the EA82 body cars now. Same goes for the EA81 wagons, etc. Hatchbacks and Brat's are where it's at for wheeling and Legacy's and up are where it's at for driving.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Rear sway bar is a good upgrade - that will definitely help with cornering.

The rest is useless. A strut brace won't do squat to that flimsy body with 90 HP, and a turbo will just blow the engine apart. They are too fragile, too high compression, and I doubt you understand what's involved in a turbo swap anyway. Not to mention - if you don't have the money for an EJ - then you definitely don't have the money to do a turbo (not and keep the heads from shooting out the side of the car).

GD

ok thanks for the response it's much appreciated so lets say i do a EJ swap i have been looking at an EJ long block thats for sale on here besides the swap is there anything else i would need to do....and yes i am 17 and no very little about cars

You'll need an adaptor plate and customized flywheel (SJR sells both as well as a few other members here), the entire wireing harness from a vehicle that will match up with the engine you use (a wrecked donor car would be ideal), and lots of little odds and ends too numerous to mention.

Especially if you have never done this sort of thing before - figure $1000 in parts minimum. Besides the engine/wiring harness (or donor car) you are going to want to do a full timing belt/water pump job and a reseal on the engine before installing it as well as the adaptor plate and flywheel which is around $350 for the set depending on who you get them from. Misc. hoses, belts, chemicals, etc.... it all adds up.

It's not a small job and people that have never done stuff like this before are more likely to waste money on the job just from pure ignorance and not having a good stash of parts, supplies, and tools. It can easily get out of hand and run into the several thousand $$ mark.

GD

hey,

i found a young 2.2 in shelton at all west coast autowrecking for $400 with ecu and harness so i know they come cheap. there are a select few on here that will mod the harness for you (at a price ive seen $200 on here maybe more maybe less)

the ej to ea adapter plate and flywheel is $395

LINK TO KIT

theres more youll need...

i havent done one but i got everything ready for a swap and did ALOT of reading

dont let anyone discourage you from doing the swap if you want it then get it.

i dont know if you have a shop or tools or buddies that can do this and i dont know if anyone on here will phyically help you out of "joy" of working on a subaru and teaching a young buck new tricks.

my doors are open if you need help GD is a good source for accurate answers to almost any question :grin: i too have adequate knowledge and im the type to lend a helping hand as long as it doesnt impact my funds :rolleyes: