Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise when torquing crank bolt

I replaced timing gears yesterday. At the end, when I reinstalled the crank pulley, I torqued the crank bolt to 130 ft.lb. I coated the bolt with a little oil as specified by FSM. I first torqued it to 33 ft.lb, then to about 100, finally to 130. When the torque was about 120, I felt the bolt moving suddenly and at the same time, I heard a rather unpleasant noise in sync with the bolt movement. It appeared that when the bolt was turning, it made such a noise. I heard it twice when I was applying torque. The noise was not coming from the torque wrench and I don't think I cross-thread the bolt. Is this normal when torquing crank bolt? I also noticed, when aiming a mirror at the crank snout hole, that the thread inside the snout is a bit unusual. At the very far end (deep into the snout), the hole diameter seems smaller than the rest of the snout hole. But the crank bolt doesn't look tapered. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it at that time. The car runs fine and the crank pulley does not wobble. Can someone explain?