Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 failed emissions

86 hatch ea81 carb non feedback failed co gpm at 107.2887 limits 20.00. Ive heard its a rich fuel problem but i don't know how to adjust it. my idle is around 800-1000 and the screw that had the pin blocking it is screwed all the way in when i checked it after emissions i backed it out 2 turns but doesn't seem to change idle don't know if driving is different or if it will pass emissions just from backing out the screw. it passed everything else.

You have serious tuning problems if the idle mixture screw was all the way in and it was still running. That means the idle circuit was completely shut off and the throttle stop has been turned up to compensate.

You need to back off the throttle stop, get it running on the idle circuit, and adjust the timing and idle speed till you get it to about 700 RPM on the idle circuit. Fix any vacuum leaks, insure the EGR is working, go through the ignition system, etc.....

Then you will likely have to replace the cat - it's probably not even there anymore. Pretty common for them to break up and end up as chunks or just dust.

GD

The throttle screw was not even touching the lever I had to turn it a full turn to get it to touch and move the lever so I guess it was at the lowest idle and still running at 800 I'm pretty sure I don't have a vacuum leak as I fixed them awhile ago. It will drip a little fuel when I open the throttle is that normal. And they said my cats passed and it has a different carb on it from an auto car cuz the original ones choke didn't seem to open right.

Are you sure it wasn't not hitting the throttle stop because the fast-idle cam on the choke is engaged? (was it still cold when you checked this?).....

Because it doesn't make sense for it to be completely closed, have the idle mixture screw run all the way in till it seats and still have it run at 800 RPM. It should die when it's setup like that unless there is SERIOUS problems with the throttle shaft/butterfly adjustment, etc.

GD

It was cold so I'll check it warmed up next time but I think I'm just going to swap a different carb on it and go from there. I'll tell you how that goes
If you do swap the carb, I'd suggest a weber if the local emissions station don't look under the hood and just check the exhaust. Good luck.