Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Tune-up almost complete

Well the '95 2.2L is still rockin w/ only 188K on it; runs like a champ!!!

Replaced the following:

PCV valve- check

Fuel Filter- check

Spark Plugs-check

Plug wires- on order from Jamie the subaru guru.

Making an appt. to have the differentials and transmission fluids serviced-then check;

When replacing the plugs last night the old plugs had roughly 55K miles on them (minor oversight in not replacing them sooner) w/ gaps ranging from .5-.55 hundreths, amazingly the car still ran great; now she is much more smoother in accelerating. As long as I don't hit any deer, I am hoping she gets me another 100K. Time will tell. Got love the 2.2L non-interferences; why did they stop manufacturing such engines; they are fail safe....... Have a good day all.

The EJ timing belts proved to be so reliable that non-interferance wasn't a priority anymore.

When was the last time you heard of one breaking?

It's just not something that's a huge problem. The new belts are rated at 105k miles and would likely not be in any danger of breaking till over 150k. They are just that strong.

Thus it's just not an issue in practice and there are good reasons to want an interference design from an engineering standpoint. Effeciency and power can both be improved.

That said - 188k is still a baby by comparison. These engines typically last well over 300k.

GD