Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reuse or replace Flywheel and Pressure Plate bolts?

Only time I've ever replaced any was for a swap. Manual and automagic flywheel bolts are usually different lengths (the manual being longer) Other than that I've never seen any that needed replacement.

Even reused some that the heads were "smoothed out", after some brainiac installed a clutch disc backwards in a chevy truck. Clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel were all brand spanking new, truck was sitting in the junkyard. :banana: He probably shat a brick when he started that thing after putting it all back together. :lol:

Back when I was doing RWD import clutches almost everyday I used to see the 8mm pressure plate bolts that had stretched once in a while. I would replace the bad ones with either new ones or used from sets I had saved. You would be able to see the bolt narrow and the thread pitch widen out right at point where the threaded potion of the bolt becomes solid close to the head.

I always figured it was from over-tightening during the last clutch rather than wear. I still watch for it on the FWD cars but hardly ever see it anymore.