Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My dash 85 brat looks like the grand canyon

Hello I'm new to this forum I'm in ca and I finly found me a 85 brat it in good shape but the dash and vents are shot . Has anyone ever changed there dash and where do you find one. In ca old subaru parts are hard to find .
Find one in a junkyard. If I'm not mistaken, the dash from an '84 GL wagon or '85 to '87 EA81 hatch is the same. It is difficult to replace. If you have a pull a part yard in your area, practice on one with a crappy dash so you don't ruin the good one you want to buy.

I had the same problem in my 85 BRAT. I was fortunate enough to find a very good replacement in a JY and I pulled it. I have heard from a few people who have done it before that the "new" dash will eventually crack as well from different stresses than it had on it in the previous vehicle and that it is better to have the one you have Reupholstered if you can do it reasonably cheap.

For point of reference, my JY Dash cost me about $90 and 1.5 hours to pull.

In hindsight when I removed the dash from my Brat, I should have labeled the electrical connections so that I knew what everything would connect to.

It is MUCH easier if you can remove the windshield, BUT it is not impossible to do it without it just more difficult.