Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering?

It is possible to add power steering and not that difficult from what I understand. I believe there is info here on the board, though when I search for things, I always seem to find everything but what I want. I'm sure GD, Edrach or Gloyale has done or knows how to this. I know EA81 ps pump and rack from a donor car should work, but I think the pump and mount from an EA82 will work too. I don't know if the rack is the same or not.

As for the tire size, the only problem there would be your speedo reading slower than you are actually going, but like 5-7mph at 60. I run 185's on my Brat and it's never been an issue. I also think the stock tire size for that was suppose to be 175, not 155, so right now your speedo is reading faster than you are going.

It isnt hard at all. I converted my brat (which is the same thing). I have a cross member rack pump hoses and a the brackets for sale if your interested. EA82 crossmember and pumps are way differant. They mount differant and would push your front tires forward and out an inch or so. Then I do believe you have to use EA82 front axles.

$150 is pretty steep right now.

First order of business is the alternator $90 for a reman - $20 when I bring my old one back in.

Then probably a new battery

Then new tires (can I get mismatched ones since mines FWD?)

Then will come power steering, new stereo, new speakers (I have these weird ones in the dash and thats ALL I see lol) etc.

No lift plans or 4WD plans at the moment.

IIRC, you can use an EA82 PS pump with a EA81T bracket but you have to use the EA81T AC bracket and such for the alternator I think. Its been awhile since I messed around with EA81 stuff but I know the EA81T and the EA82 PS pumps are identical.

The EA81T and EA82 PS pump brackets are similar BUT the EA82 sticks out further to clear the timing belts which is why the EA82 bracket doesn't work.

EA81, EA81 w/ p/s and EA81T crossmembers are all differant. The EA82 cross member is also differant from all the EA81 cross members

you can use an EA82 PS pump with a EA81T bracket but you have to use the EA81T AC bracket and such for the alternator I think.

Aren't those pretty hard to find?

Then new tires (can I get mismatched ones since mines FWD?)

Yes, you can. But try to stay the same size! It will pull when driving and even more so when braking!

Power steering is possible but you need the entire engine cross-member, power steering rack, hoses, pump, and pump brackets from an EA81. Also the thermostat housing and a new upper radiator hose if you use the EA81 PS pump.

To use the EA81T stuff you need all of it or you will have to mix/match EA82 parts into the game to get the lines over on the passenger side. It also helps to use the EA82 intake manifold or you will have strange things going on with the PS lines and the upper radiator hose which want to occupy the same space....

The EA81T style also really needs the EA81T crank pulley, water pump, and alternator pulley.

It's not as *simple* as people make it out to be. You need to find an intact donor car in the junk yard.

GD

The cross member is different on PS equipped EA81s? Didn't know that....

The crossmembers are the same, PS vs. NON......it's just that the way they are assembled, you can't really take the rack out of a PS crossmember without driliing out the spotwelds that hold the Jackplate.

And in fact, lot's of the late 84 EA81s had a bolted on jack plate like the EA82. So you might get lucky and be able to bolt in a PS rack. Then you would just need the pump, lines, mount, etc...from an EA81 w/PS.

Not really that hard. Easier in my mind than swapping the whole darn crossmember.

The crossmembers are the same, PS vs. NON......it's just that the way they are assembled, you can't really take the rack out of a PS crossmember without driliing out the spotwelds that hold the Jackplate.

And in fact, lot's of the late 84 EA81s had a bolted on jack plate like the EA82. So you might get lucky and be able to bolt in a PS rack. Then you would just need the pump, lines, mount, etc...from an EA81 w/PS.

Not really that hard. Easier in my mind than swapping the whole darn crossmember.

Wouldn't you still have to drill all the holes for the lines and little block on the passenger side?