Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will the front tone gear from a 96 Legacy fit on a 94 legacy? The ABS system on Red, the $300 dollar 94 Alpine Wagon is broken. There is a 95 at the bone yard that has ABS, and the ring is just sitting there waiting for me to pull it. Oh, and it's half-off days this weekend, so I have to find something to buy! :banana:

Removal of the tone ring requires dissasembly of the wheel bearing (removal of the hub). This basically means you have to replace the wheel bearing as it will be comprimised durring removal. You would be better off just taking the whole knuckle.

And yes - they should be the same though the sensor might be different.

GD

I've often wondered if you could just carefully split the tone ring with a hacksaw and then bolt the two peices on and have it work. If you did it with a thin blade and made your cut's down in the valley between the sensor tabs It shouldn't comprimise the hall-effect sensor's function.

The only reason I can come up with for wanting to do this is in the case where I want to use a non-ABS knuckle on an ABS car to avoid a wheel bearing job - used knucjle is $10 cheaper than the new bearing *and* less labor. Front's don't fail very often so it's not a concern to me to put on a used one most of the time.

GD

I've often wondered if you could just carefully split the tone ring with a hacksaw and then bolt the two peices on and have it work. If you did it with a thin blade and made your cut's down in the valley between the sensor tabs It shouldn't comprimise the hall-effect sensor's function.

The only reason I can come up with for wanting to do this is in the case where I want to use a non-ABS knuckle on an ABS car to avoid a wheel bearing job - used knucjle is $10 cheaper than the new bearing *and* less labor. Front's don't fail very often so it's not a concern to me to put on a used one most of the time.

GD

That's a wonderful idea! I think I'm gonna have to try it! But I'll grab the hub assy too, just in case. Since it's half off....

PS. GD, what does your avatar say under the Skeptic line? (I'm a skeptic too).

Edited by Sonicfrog