Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do the rockers and camshaft caps need to come off for HG replacement?

Just wondering if the cams and cam caps need to come off in order to replace the HGs.

Probably a dumb question because I suppose you'd want to repace the valve guide seals while your in there which would require the whole head to be torn down...

and the reason the camshafts/rockers must come out on dohc is the head bolts are behind them, and the head bolts cannot be removed if they can't be gotten to.

egg cartons work well to hold the parts, make sure you draw a diagram (or better yet label the parts too) so they dont get mixed up when reinstalling.

As stated, a 2.5 SOHC doesn't.

Don't try doing the job in car like some will tell you is possible. What is possible, and what is doing a good job are 2 different things here. Its very hard to get the block surfaces and the intake manifold gasket surfaces cleaned doing it in car.

and the reason the camshafts/rockers must come out on dohc is the head bolts are behind them, and the head bolts cannot be removed if they can't be gotten to.

egg cartons work well to hold the parts, make sure you draw a diagram (or better yet label the parts too) so they dont get mixed up when reinstalling.

I use a permanent market and LETTER the parts.

A trick I learned long ago. I'm actually an old computer guy. When we'd run cables and gave them a number folks would try and read too much logic into the number. All I wanted was them to match both ends of the same cable - one at the computer and the other end wherever it was in the business. Folks would think for instance cable 1 would HAVE to go into slot 1 on the multiplexer in the back of the computer. In reality cable 1 had no meaning - just a way to identify both ends of the same cable. For instance I'd see systems someone else installed and the multiplexers used to be numbered 0-7 (for the 8 slots). Almost always slot 0 was free - because there was no cable labeled 0 !!

Same with backup sets of media. So long ago I started to enploy lettering.

For instance on this job one may want to relate the number to a particular cylinder - but there is more than one valve per cylinder.

I use a sharpie and an old oil box for each side. I mark everythink including the cam caps. Don't forget markings on the heads will be removed if you have them sent out to be done. So scratch a legend on them somewhere before sending them out. The steam cleaning will remove the sharpie.