Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FUEL FILTER question

So I replaced the rear fuel filter today... The new one and the one that came off were different, but still fit...

The previous one came off right side up (hose lines on top) but because of the spacing of the new fuel filter, it would only fit upside down... am I risking anything like this? Pics below...

DSC_0233.jpg

This is the nasty fuel filter I took off.

Heres the replacement one, hooked up to the proper lines, and in place (upside down)

DSC_0237.jpg

QUESTION AGAIN:

Since the fuel filter only fit upside down, am I harming anything by having it this way, or should I try and fit it right side up?

sounds strange that it would only go that way and i didn't look at the pictures, but it shouldn't matter at all. modern FI systems are under high pressure (relatively speaking) so orientation of the filter isn't going to make a difference if that's really all that's going on.

whoops, vehicle helps. i just assumed the 92 in your user name was in reference to this vehicle. someone else will chime in since this is carbed right?

so it's carbed - those are low pressure like 8psi or something, but i doubt it matters, i actually looked at the pic's this time. it has to go against gravity either way, just a matter of whether it's the feed side or pick up side...flipping it only alternates those i'd think.

And what makes you think there's a right-side-up to a sealed cartridge filter?

It's designed to be installed exactly as you have done (as long as you followed the arrows on the filter for inlet and outlet). In other words it doesn't matter in the slightest.

EA carb fuel pressure is 1.5 to 2.5 psi.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

You may want to climb under there and follow the fuel lines just to check that the one with the out arrow does indeed lead up to the engine since you mentioned the old filter not having an arrow. Or did you mean it did not have an arrow on the first side you undid??

When I used to change my fuel filter on my GL I used a set of vise grips wrapped 5-7 times with electrical tape. Let me pinch off the line but not damage it (only make it tight enough to stop flow, not crush the hose)

I shoulda done that :grin:

Cuz now my arm still smells like gas several handwashes and 3 showers later :rolleyes:

Oh well, it has been done, but I will look and make sure that it goes to the engine.

I took the hoses off one at a time.

Took one hose off, noted which side it came off of, and put it on that, the arrow hose went where it belonged, where the other didnt. lol