Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel bearing

My front right wheel bearing needs to be replaced...

I was thinking Id have to wait because I didnt have the funds...

But I was in my garage, and I pulled out a "SKF" box that was labeled "bearing" so Im hoping that this part will fit mine, it came outta my 1984 GL Wagon 4WD, but now I have a 1984 DL Sedan FWD.

The SKF box says its part 6207

Autozone says I need part 207

Question is, is this the bearing I need? If so, how do I replace it?

6207bearing.jpg

All you need is a decent sized hammer, and a long drift. They're pressed in but they're not as hard to get out as one might think. At least, the ones I've done weren't too awful but then again, you might run into an issue with them getting stuck. Doesn't hurt to try!:banana:

Don't forget the seals!

usually when i have to do a WB i just swap out the whole spindle, bearing and all. im that broke. always. it might not be the smartest or best way to fix things but its cheap and doable with the tools i already have.

RV

How might that be done? Do I look for the whole spindle? I bet Im more broke (funny Im betting at a time like this haha) but where, and how much would that cost me?

at my local JY (tacoma pull a part) a spindle runs 11.50 if they have the part. take out the bolts holding the spindle to the strut. remove all ball joint nuts/bolts. remove axle nut assy. if necassary remove a arm bolt. remove stand on a arm to get the strut and spindle separated.

these instructions are NOT in order of operations, they are in the random order i remember things. hope this helps

RV

Well... Depends on what we do.

If we want to just clean/organize for now, and then work on my car later, thatd probably be best, since I only have 1 wheel bearing and about $.95 to buy a bearing with...

Since my car does need work, I would have to have girlfriend follow me out there (Sept tags) so I didnt get a cop sitting on my tail. Or take her car, but she has to work from 9am-3pm and driving out there in rush hour would take forever.... And Saturday I have class 8am-1230pm... We could head out after that?

Im super excited for this :D

Saturday sounds like a good plan. My other half works from noon till 7 that day so we should have a good stretch.

You organize my shed and help out, etc - I'll take care of the wheel bearings and/or whatever else is going on with those front-end noises. I know a thing or two about bearings and most important - where to buy them on the discount :grin:. Your money is no good here - I just need your time and your effort. I don't have enough hours in the day or hands to keep all the balls in the air with :rolleyes:

GD

these instructions are NOT in order of operations, they are in the random order i remember things. hope this helps

Lolz. Nice one Rob #12. Just remember: Beer before liquor, never been sicker.

I'm in the garage the next three days for sure. Hopefully wrenching on a Frankenmotored Brat :banghead:

GD

^^^Fixed it for you.

Jacob