Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wal-mart

Does walmart really have the setup to copy chip keys?

Many locksmiths now have the capability to copy the new chip keys. I know one near me just got a machine to do them. The dealer obviously can, but that'd be expensive. Although, you might need to get the actual key from the dealer if you want one that has the lock and unlock button in it.

Does walmart really have the setup to copy chip keys?

Many locksmiths now have the capability to copy the new chip keys. I know one near me just got a machine to do them. The dealer obviously can, but that'd be expensive. Although, you might need to get the actual key from the dealer if you want one that has the lock and unlock button in it.

Keys made at WalMart are just plain keys, with no chip. I just had one made there for $1.50 for my Subie last week.

you will need a "chip" key and no walmart does not have them. If you are lucky, you can buy a chip key blank for 19.99 on ebay, then go to your subaru dealer, have them cut it by looking up vin, then they will charge another 50 or 60 to program it. It will not start your car (chip is fortheft deterrant system) until it gets programmed, only the dealer can program it. Some places like ace hardware, can sometimes copy your current chip key with a reader, and transfer it to the new key, but usually they only have stuff for ford, gm, chysler.

good luck

total will be about 100 to get it done if you get keyblank off ebay.

• 2 weeks later...