Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright I have a 04 outback MT with EJ25 motor this was the base model, I need to get a replacement engine and have been looking around, Does anyone know what I can use? will an engine from an impreza or forester work, and whayears should I look for? Also does it really need to be a Manual engine or will and auto work just the same. I plan on completing the swap myself and have never swap motors before, I have replaced all 4 cv joints, and driveshaft and a/c compressor, myself also replaced a TB on a 91 jetta, reaplced the head on my 73 bmw 02, so I feel some-what comfortable swapping just don't know what motor to get to make the swap as easy as possible. Thanks for any help and input.

You will want what's called a Phase 2 EJ25. Some searching around here should bring up some threads about which years you can/can't use.

Auto vs manual isn't a big deal. The major hangup would be an EGR vs non EGR engine but I think they all had EGR valves by then. You basically just need an engine with the same number of cams as what you have.

Might I ask why it needs a new engine?

Edited by Fairtax4me

Due to fact that there is now a large gap in the upper block area of the motor with bits or metal all over the engine campartment, I pretty sure its the complete motor, Really need to know about swapping with different models and what years are compatible. This motor is definately toast.

well the general rule of thumb is to use an engine from your "model year group". this would be 00 - 04. there may be some small differences in thoise years, but it isn't anything you can't over come with parts from your old engine. example, you ma need to swap the cam and crank sprockets to match your ECU but that is no big deal.

you can also probably use impreza engines. they quit using the 2.2L engine in 01 so all the ones in your year and a couple of years earlier, are going to be a match, or close enough that you can over come it.

i wouldn't go to 05 unless some tells you for sure it will work. i just don't know. but you can get 00 - 04 to work, avoid turbos unless yours is one.

i wouldn't go to 05 unless some tells you for sure it will work. i just don't know. but you can get 00 - 04 to work, avoid turbos unless yours is one.

forester, impreza, legacy, OBW isn't going to matter. it just needs to be an EJ25 of the right phase. (impreza's had EJ22's until early 00's - 01 JCE says). actually installing an EJ22 isn't hard either, it's bolt in and plug and play with one minor swap of some timing components, but sounds like you want simple.

that's what i would go with. few folks have done stuff this new so there's not a huge bundle of info or experience.

ebay and car-parts.com are helpful for year interchange info.

185,000 for an 04 seems like a lot to me, was it a dealer or private party, if either did they have any receipts for the work that has been done on the car? I would also car fax it.... I wouldn't buy an 04 with that many miles on it, I could see like 140 but that much! of course they could have just drove a lot of road trips or something.

185,000 for an 04 seems like a lot to me, was it a dealer or private party, if either did they have any receipts for the work that has been done on the car? I would also car fax it.... I wouldn't buy an 04 with that many miles on it, I could see like 140 but that much! of course they could have just drove a lot of road trips or something.

This was my personal commuter over 120 miles 5 days sometime 6 days a week, added up quick. Did you happen to read the rest of the post maybe I posted it unclear. I have owned the car since 8 miles.

185,000 for an 04 seems like a lot to me,
6 or 7 years on the road - 30,000 miles a year would be 210,000. that's a lot but not that uncommon. that's some nice longevity to keep up those miles.

good luck on the search. 2000 - 2002's were under a 100,000 mile extended head gasket warranty campaign. be nice to find one that's already had them done or, assuming there's a quantitative reason they cut it off at 2002, find a 2003 or 2004 engine. sometimes you go with whatever you find, but if you have choices or know something you might get to choose too.

I found a reman motor drop in for $2300.00 3yr/36000 warranty so will be putting in this weekend, While tear to old motor down I see my timing belt is still intact, no i'm really wondering what the heck happened, I just changed my oil and yes there was oil in the motor when it went.

Spun a rod bearing. Timing belt breaks the valves get bent, but no other harm done to the bottom end. The Ej25 is infamous for popping rods through the block, but usually this happens within a few miles after replacing head gaskets. The main contributor is thought to be gross overheating of the engine due to bad head gaskets. And there is generally some advanced warning in the form of rod knock. So that seems a bit out of character even for an engine that's known to grenade. But you know what they say... $hit happens. :confused: