Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber conversion queston

Hi there,

I recently purchased a 1982 GL Wagon, and the carburetor is about to crap out on me. I've been doing some research, and I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me.

I have an EA81 engine with a single barrel Weber on it. I know I need a 2-barrel intake manifold to put the Weber 32/36 on it. My question is, I'm going to try to find a EA82 intake manifold because I think it will be easier to locate; is there something I would need to do in order to keep the stock power steering?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Nick

USRM Weber conversion Link

Don't go for the EA-82 intake, I'd stick to the EA-81 intake, and I don't believe you even need to swap to the two barrel one, I've never heard of having to.

The kit should come with an adapter plate, if you get one specific for a Subaru, make sure you use a good gasket and sealant, vacuum leaks suck.

Thanks Noah for the quick reply.

I was following this post http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104128 for info because he had a the same carburetor as mine but without the power steering (and his was a Brat). I think my carburetor is only held on with two bolts instead of four, but I'm not positive. I'll have to take it off tomorrow and take a look.

Thanks again for your help, I'll post again if I still have questions.

You cannot use the EA82 manifold with the EA81 style power steering. It just will not work.

You also cannot use the carter-weber manifold. You will need an EA81 Hitachi manifold to do a Weber swap.

Unfortunately that is your only option - or lose the PS or switch to a later EA81 block that has the bolt bosses for the EA82 PS pump bracket - then switch to an EA81T crank pulley, water pump, and alt pulley...... WAY more work than you are looking for I'm sure.

GD