Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket cooling fan 85 brat

Wham I'm out wheeling my fan just runs constantly and the Gage gos up it's not overheating . I want to cool it better my car came with one small fan so what I want to know should I use two small fans with more flow or one big fan I'm thinks 14" or 16"

You could get away with using 1 bigger fan, but I would replace the wiring from the battery to the relay, the relay to the fan, and the relay itself. Use the gauge wiring recomended by the mfgr of the fan. There are fans out there that draw less than 10 amps.

If your in to junkyards that could work too. A setup from an A/C car might be ideal (2 fans). But just beware the stock setup on my car wont allow both fans to run wile the headlights are on. Im sure theres a reason for this :-\

Edited by ihscout54

Stock guages are not even remotely accurate.

The fan running all the time is bad. That indicates a problem in itself.

You are prepared to install a second fan when you don't really know anything - you don't know the actual manifold temp, you don't know the delta-T across the radiator, you don't know or haven't said the status/brand/temp of the thermostat, you don't why the existing fan is running all the time...... in other words you know nothing at all.

You have not taken the appropriate steps for myself or anyone else on this board to be in any way helpful nor have you any (good) reason other than some seat-of-the-pants feelings and speculation as to if another fan is even needed. I'll tell you right now that it's not if everything is working correctly.

GD

The fan works fine it comes on and off like it is suppose to the only time it stays on is when I'm out offloading and the engine gets a little hotter then normal so I want another fan to cool it down a little better when I'm when I'm offloading. sorry I ges I should of explain what I won't to do it for and why

What GD is trying to say :rolleyes:

Make sure your radiator is up to snuff.

Check the coolant, if its old or not close to 50/50 (all water) that will cause it to run hot.

If its never been done, a new thermostat is never a bad idea, its a relatively quick and easy job, especially while you are changing the coolant.

Is it bad to have more then 50/50 coolant to water

Not really. 50/50 is ideal, but up to a 70/30 mix of Antifreeze/water is okay, depending on climate region.

A lot of 'low speed-hi rev' driving will cause an engine to run warmer than normal.

The cooling system relies on airflow thru the radiator from forward motion of the vehicle, along with the fans flow of air.

Speeds less than 25 MPH, don't really move enough air thru the radiator.

Atleast that is what I'm told by people that know way more than me about these things.

I installed a 14" Hayden fan on my 87 Brat. It was left over from another project which is the only reason I installed it. My Brat had the A.C. installed orginally so it came with two factory fans. May be wrong but if I was to guess I believe the two orginal fans put out a little more air flow than the Hayden. I think your best bet is to find the other factory fan that would come with an A.C. car. My experience converting a couple of clutch driven cooling fan vehicles to electric is a factory shroud style electric fan is hard to beat compared to aftermarket.

This is extreme, and I don't think anyone in their right mind has ever done this, so take it with a grain of salt :rolleyes: I'm just spitballing and think it would be interesting.

If you were to add a second heater core to your system, say in your spare tire area and add a vent into the hood and a fan to blow across it you would increase your cooling capacity maybe 10-20% maybe?

Heater core is a neat idea thank for the good idea. I think I'm going to add a atfermarket 10" fan with the stock fan and hook it up on a switch in the car so when I'm out offloading I can flip the switch and get some extra cool when needed thank for the help