Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oxygen Sensor, Splice or OEM?

I'm currently getting a P032 Front O2Sensor code on my 2004 SOHC 2.5L Impreza TS.

I'm looking at O2 sensors and they are around $80 and I'd need to splice it into the factory connector.

The other option is $160 for the whole thing.. (sensor and connector)

What's the experience with splicing.. $80 seems like a bit much for the added connector. I've done soldering and etc.. and value my time at about $20/hr.. I can't see that it would make a 4hr Difference to get this off.

Also any help / thoughts on replacing this thingas easny as possible. I"ve seen WRX replacement guides online, which seems easier because you can get to it by removing the plastic inner fender wall. It looks like it's going to be a royal PITA to get to it on the TS.

Thanks for the help.

My own experience after several attempts, is that I could never get a splice connection to work well. They would last a year, then the connections would go bad, no matter how well I soldered the wires together. $160 sounds really expensive for an OEM unit, but maybe I just haven't kept pace with inflation. If it were me, I would go with an OEM unit, and would shop the internet parts stores for the best price.

Any tips to get it out and off (Besides get the tool)?

Some 02 sensors can be difficult to remove. Engine heat and time can really make the sensor difficult to break loose and unthread.

Spray with PB Blaster or other great penetrating oil, but not WD-40, wait an hour or longer, best to wait over night, then use a good socket with good driver or breaker bar. Slide on an extension bar over the driver or breaker bar handle to gain extra leverage if necessary. I cut the wires to the sensor at time of removal just to get them out of the way. The new 02 sensor will have anti seize on the threads, maybe add a little more anti-seize if what there is really skimpy. Be careful to not get anti-seize on the tip of the new sensor, or you may ruin it.

Are you going to buy an OEM or aftermarket sensor?

Regards, Rooster2

In that application I'd go with the genuine SUBARU part. You don't necessarily have to get it at Northtown or West Herr though, there are cheaper places for genuine parts.

Especially if that connector has like 5 or 6 wires on it, those are a real pain to match up the generic sensors, and the generic sensors outputs don't always match exactly the genuine part so the ECU might not be as happy with it.

Getting them out with the exhaust warm/hot usually is easiest, otherwise they are kind of cold welded in there. Kroil works good too to help it along.

Good idea to cut the wires @ the sensor before doing.. that way I can just use a regular wrench.. The space on the TS is small.

I will def be loading it up with PB-blaster / liquid wrench. I always do with anything I work on at least 1ce before doing any work.. Rust here in Buffalo is always an issue, so I will usually spray the night before..

Good idea on warming the car up... didn't think to do that.. I'm sure that'll help a bit.

I belive it's a 3-4 wire on the TS, I wansn't planning on going right from the dealer.. I'll check around online northtown's a ripoff for anything, west-herr isn't too bad but I've never dealt with their subaru parts desk.. It's not 100% needed yet.. Inspections' due in june and it's not really killing gas mileage a while lot..

I will probably take care of it in the next month or 2 before the winter shows up, so I'm not killing the cat unnecessarily.

Sounds good. I usually order from subarupartsforyou.com since they're only a couple UPS days away and stock the most common items and have good prices and service. Northtown if you ask for a quote on their website they will pretty much quote you Subaru list price. West Herr I walked in once to buy an engine coolant temp sensor and I paid about 150% of Subaru list I think it was.