Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine change

aussiesubiedude

You;ll need:

an adapter plate for EJ to EA

An EA82 flywheel, holes reamed to fit EJ crank

EA82 4wd clutch set

EA82 5spd trans crossmember (you can cut off the outer ends, and hammer the box section into a flat, then drill holes to match the brumby mounting bolts)

You will also need to get a custom one piece driveline made......or mount a 2 piece driveline from an EA82

also need a 5spd shifter from EA82 or modify a Liberty one.

add about 1 inch to your existing 4wd linkage rod.

Brumby axles will work fine, unless your 5spd is from a turbo car.

EJ20 or EJ22 would be a better choice - the EJ18 is somewhat lacking in performance though it's a slight upgrade to the EA81. The EJ20/EJ22 is more "worth" the effort.

GD

Not trying to argue, but respectfully, Have you ever put an EJ18 into an EA81 car? I have. It's WAAAY worth the effort. If for nothing else that you now have a modern, easy to get parts for engine.

EJ22 is overkill unless you are trying to go very fast. The EJ18 is much more common for the aussies, I believe. HUGE upgrade from a stock EA81. Probably cheaper to get and run.

And in AUS, he might even be able to get a Carbed one so no wiring harness or ECU to strip and install. That would make the EJ18 swap multitudes simpler.

I just wasn't that impressed with the EJ22 in the Brat (neither was Jacob). I mean - sure it was a little faster than the EA81/Weber and I'm sure it would be much more fun with torque cams, etc.... but it just didn't have the WOW factor that I half expected it to have. It was definitely an upgrade but the EJ18 would be 25 fewer HP and I can't imagine that being very amazing.

Once we put in the frankenmotor with the torqe cams though - :eek:. Now it's got WOW factor. When you get on the skinny pedal the car LEAPS forward. It's so fun to drive that Jacob leaves his STi here parked in front of my house :lol:.

Since I know they have 150 HP EJ20 N/A's over in AUS.... that would be the route I would go. I'm just saying.... if you are going to all the trouble then why not have as much power as you can reasonably obtain. The EJ20 would be basically the same amount of work. I suppose you could always do that later if you already have the EJ18 and this is a budget build. But these older EJ's are getting really cheap so why not drop a few hundred $ on some real power ya know?

I suppose a carbed option would be interesting - but that's even less power than the SPFI/MPFI EJ18 I'm sure.... you might as well build a hi-po EA81 at that point as 100 HP is easily obtainable.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I just wasn't that impressed with the EJ22 in the Brat (neither was Jacob). I mean - sure it was a little faster than the EA81/Weber and I'm sure it would be much more fun with torque cams, etc.... but it just didn't have the WOW factor that I half expected it to have. It was definitely an upgrade but the EJ18 would be 25 fewer HP and I can't imagine that being very amazing.

Something was wrong with your EJ22 then. An EJ22 in a BRAT? That thing should HAUL.

With the the EJ22 in my 89 GL it screams. WAAAY faster than the EA82T that came in the car, even with 205/70/15 tires. A Brat must weight at least 600 lbs less.

My lifted 84 wagon .with the EJ18 running 235/75/15s is faster than it was with stock tires and the SPFI'd EA81

IDK.....he said he wanted an EJ18, so I told him what he will need to install it.

Something was wrong with your EJ22 then. An EJ22 in a BRAT? That thing should HAUL.

With the the EJ22 in my 89 GL it screams. WAAAY faster than the EA82T that came in the car, even with 205/70/15 tires. A Brat must weight at least 600 lbs less.

My lifted 84 wagon .with the EJ18 running 235/75/15s is faster than it was with stock tires and the SPFI'd EA81

IDK.....he said he wanted an EJ18, so I told him what he will need to install it.

I doubt anything was wrong with it when it first went in. I think different people just have different ideas of speed.

You are correct in that he asked about an EJ18, and you did tell him what he will need. I think a friendly suggestion of some alternatives is not detrimental to his project.

Jacob

So i can beat you with my heavy OBS?

Plannin on maybe gettin back into it next season, finally have money again :banana:

Fixed it for you:lol: I was actually thinking you could get a ride in Scott K's Lancer or Andy Sharples' RS-T so that you can say you've ridden in a turbo car before.

Jacob