Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to replace lower ball joint on 98 OBW

no special tools needed exactly. ball joints aren't that hard actually.

save yourself the hassle and get a pickle fork. they can be terribly seized and not come out. there's a ton of threads where folks have wasted considerable time trying to remove them and i used to do the same. a pickle fork makes what sometimes is a couple hour step turn into 30 seconds. get one. maybe that's just because i'm in the rust belt? :lol::eek:

i haven't done a ball joint by itself on an OBW so i'm not sure the easiest way. i would just unbolt the ball joint, drive a pickle fork through it to separate it from the hub. that might give you enough room to just replace the ball joint.

if not - just unbolt the two strut mount bolts on the hub and that will give you the room you need to replace it. mark the orientation of the top strut mount bolt head (not the nut) , it's cambered and affects alignment. i just hit the head and strut body with a chisel at the same time and line those back up. it's a rather "rough" adjustment, it's like a micrometer or anything so don't fret over it.

good luck - as long as the pinch bolt isn't rusted it's a very easy job...with a pickle fork. soak the pinch bolt with penetrant if it does appear rusted, but don't get any in the bearings/around the axle.