Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What model is this? Pic content

Hello folks, new on the block. I'm a BMW guy myself, but that is a rather expensive hobby. As such, I'd like something affordable to fill the gap between my big cruiser coupe and my little honda moped. A friend of mine has offered me the car in the picture for $450. It has 270,000 miles on the clock and supposedly needs a starter, but has a new clutch, and a few other things. That aside, I know next to nothing particular to subarus, so I was hoping you all could inform me what model it is that is in the picture, and what I should keep an eye out when I go to look at it.

60068_528962184364_98300370_31202384_859292_n.jpg

I don't know the name of the model. She is attractive and wears nice boots though. ;)

Sorry, it is Friday after all.

Looks like a 87 and later gl 3dr. Probably front wheel drive. reasonable on gas. No powerhouse by any means. A few miles but if maintained should have a few left. Price is right.

Yea either DL or GL 3-door aka Runabout. Its gonna have a carbureted EA82 engine (About 80 hp) $450 is a good price, check for rust on the underside uni-frame rails. It can be swapped to 4WD if you get a 4WD transmission and 4WD rear trailing arm assy and diff.

-Tom

Being it's a 3 door (87+) and 2WD it will be SPFI (Single Point Fuel Injection). It looks to be a GL by the trim (blackout door handles, etc).

The SPFI stuff runs near forever on those - the engine is a sound machine if you keep up on it's tendancy to eat timing belts and cooling system parts.

Biggest thing to watch for is going to be the cooling system - with that many miles it's likely that it will need a head gasket if that hasn't already been done. The heads chafe against the gasket and it results in the fire ring damaging the head surfaces - usually this creates a need for head gasket replacement in the 200k to 300k mile range. It's easily repaired with a head resurface and some new head gaskets and can be done with the engine in the car. But at 270k it might have already been done. Would be great if they have some reccords.....

That's a good price. The best part about that car is the decent mileage, the SPFI system, and cheap/availible parts. Even a whole used engine is usually only in the $250 or less catagory - despite the few flaws of these they tend to last almost forever - what usually claims them is not a fatal flaw but rather a need to do a major service like a timing belt, etc - when people find out that the service is going to cost more than the car is worth they just dump them in a trade-in etc where they then end up at dealer auctions and get bought by the junk yards for scrap metal.

GD

Its fun to drive Slow cars fast, rather then Fast cars slow. :)

I'd agree with that. I once did a sub-15 minute lap on the Nürburgring in a Peugeot station wagon. I've also been known to drive my fast car fast from time to time...

The BMW club in my town used to have a club drive every month, but after one of the members went off the road in a brand new M6 at over 100 mph (fortunately he was fine), the insurance company cut them down to once every other month :lol:

Edited by eurobu

It could be an '86 which would be Carbed, I like the Root beer color as well. MilesFox has one ('86 GL 3-door Carbed with 4WD swap) Its pretty cool car in my opinion, something somewhat unique, being a 3-door and not an RX.

No, it can't. '86's had the small bumpers. That has the larger bumpers. '87 and newer. :rolleyes:

Hhhmmm - yes if you are in Europe it could have almost anything in it. I've seen pictures of that same body with a factory EA71 carb in it (Isreal I think :rolleyes:).

But since you listed the *mileage* and the price is in $.... and it doesn't say "Leone" on the side..... I'm thinking you are in the states. And that looks like a very American Suburb to my American eyes. Especially with the convert. Mustang in the next driveway :lol:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Subarus got Different Trim Levels and Option in Europe...

Could you Post Pictures of the Engine Bay / interior?

I Agree with This, Absolutely...

Hhhmmm - yes if you are in Europe it could have almost anything in it. I've seen pictures of that same body with a factory EA71 carb in it (Isreal I think :rolleyes:).

But since you listed the *mileage* and the price is in $.... and it doesn't say "Leone" on the side..... I'm thinking you are in the states. And that looks like a very American Suburb to my American eyes. Especially with the convert. Mustang in the next driveway :lol:

GD

I don't suppose that the Oregon plates could be any kind of an indicator of location? :lol:

I vote 86.... The rear bumper is all black (unless its a DL bumper or something) but I dont see much definition between the upper and lower part of the bumper. Compare it to the RX bumper on this page too.

It could be '87 - newer.

Heres MilesFox's '86 GL Carb EA82. The rear bumper is shorter.

2010_0626Test0015.jpg

2010_0626Test0082.jpg

Hmmm guess I don't know much about the rear of 3 drs :-\... let me see the front end, steering wheel and mirrors and I can probably get it :grin:

LOL, Mike, you're killing me...

The mirrors are visible. '86 and later. The steering wheel is visible. '87 and later. Anything else? :)