Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale 5-Speed Gearbox

The gearbox in my '93 Loyale leaks like a sieve. Last time I replaced the axles (about a year ago) I did replace the drive seals, which slowed the leaks down a little, but it still leaks really bad.

My question to my fellow gearheads is, "How big of a pain in the arse will it be to take the gearbox out, replace all the seals and gaskets, and re-install?" I would describe my technical skills as above-average home mechanic -- I've pulled and resealed the engine twice since I've owned the car, but have never touched the gearbox.

Where is it leaking from exactly? There isn't much that can't be fixed with the tranny in-place. The seals around the front diff stubs are set into the front diff R&P bearing race holders and those also set the R&P clearance. If you do one at a time and mark it's posistion prior to removal it's not usually a problem but if they are put back incorrectly the R&P can fail from improper clearance (too loose, too tight, or gear misalignment).

The only one that you have to dissasemble the tranny for is the front input shaft seal. That one requires splitting the case to access.

GD

I would reccomend replacing the pushbutton 4wd transmission with a dual range 4x4 manual shift transmission out of an 86-89 EA82 car if your going to bother cracking the case to replace seals. Might as well upgrade the car while you're there.

+1 my 5sp dr is in the garage waiting to be put in:banana: