Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 radiator fan

Mine is grounding out but not blowing fuses when hooked up in a factory situation it just wasn't making a good connection and not always coming on like it should. I was going to work on a relay and use the factory AC fan all tied into one circuit but my first indicator something was amiss was the blowing of fuses (four to be exact ) when I started triple checking my work and finally got out the test light and figured it out.

Mike

If the motor is getting a good ground then the problem would have to be with proper power getting to the motor. The trouble may with the thermo-switch or a bad connection somewhere.

The fans draw a fair amount of current so if you tried to run both fans on one circuit that is most likely why the fuses blew.

You were right. When the fan is grounded it reads as grounded on the + side. So I went through one more fuse b4 I got it right which is a 20 amper BTW. It is a good thing those fans dont draw more power because I don't have a 30 amp fuse and my relay is only good for 30 amps besides.. It does cool it down freakin quick now though and the ans don't stay on long.

Mike

When you measure the resistance of the positive side of motor while the other side is tied to ground and use chassis ground for the reference of the meter, the meter sees the low resistance of the motor armature coils in series to ground.

Edited by Cougar