Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to disable the airbag on a 93 impreza

Deployment can also be effected by the wheel speed of the vehicle, depending on manufacturer.

That's interesting. So if you're going 60mph with your wheels completely locked up, it might not deploy?

I guess modern vehicles take the speed from ABS censors anyway, so everything is more tied together... still interesting.

Kinda a related note didn't think a new thread is needed, but I have come across many newer accident Subarus in which the air bag has not deployed.

-example one.- My brothers 99 Outback deer hit, it smashed the radiator back into the timing cover enough to jump time and bend the AC tensioner, but no airbags deployed

-example two-my Dads 98 Forester, front hit no arbags deployed.

-Lots of various other builders that i have seen hit in front hard and no airbags gone off

-nhtsa search Subaru list of complaints there are issues of this as well.

Subaru must have addressed the tow hook bump issue and made them nearly impossible to explode at some production date.

When did you become such an idiot? Seriously, every post in this thread by you is full of rediculous statements and foolish assumptions.

And for the record, disabling the air bag violates so many laws I can't begin to state them all. Disabling air bags for race purposes or off-road purposes is about the only acceptable reason for doing so. There are severe penalties for doing this in a passenger vehicle on US highways.

Safety equipment is just that, safety equipment. Millions of dollars and hundreds of hours of testing go into these decisions.

I understand thinking it would injure a smaller person but they are designed with that in mind.

And for the record, disabling the air bag violates so many laws I can't begin to state them all. Disabling air bags for race purposes or off-road purposes is about the only acceptable reason for doing so. There are severe penalties for doing this in a passenger vehicle on US highways.

This is quite true. In a way I feel that the consumer should be allowed to "tamper" with his own safety features but then most people don't keep a car forever and it could get loaned to someone that doesn't know this was done.....

It is for the best that these laws are on the books as most people abide by the law if they know it exists.... though it should be pointed out that the law is, in most cases, quite unenforceable. There may be a fine for disabling an air bag but you could never actually levy that fine and collect it if it were contested in a court of law - it couldn't be proven that YOU were responsible.... in the vast majority of cases anyway.

GD

Kinda a related note didn't think a new thread is needed, but I have come across many newer accident Subarus in which the air bag has not deployed.

-example one.- My brothers 99 Outback deer hit, it smashed the radiator back into the timing cover enough to jump time and bend the AC tensioner, but no airbags deployed

-example two-my Dads 98 Forester, front hit no arbags deployed.

-Lots of various other builders that i have seen hit in front hard and no airbags gone off

-nhtsa search Subaru list of complaints there are issues of this as well.

Subaru must have addressed the tow hook bump issue and made them nearly impossible to explode at some production date.

Well also keep in mind that airbags are looking for a very specific signal from the accelerometer. A maml hit is a very soft hit and should not trigger a airbag deployment as the driver can still have control of the car after the accident.

NHTSA may have complaints, but it may be a perfectly normal occurance, as it takes a very specicfic shock value, especially in a vehical that may be used off road, to set off the airbag.

Just because the NHTSA has complaints doesnt mean that there is an issue.

This is quite true. In a way I feel that the consumer should be allowed to "tamper" with his own safety features but then most people don't keep a car forever and it could get loaned to someone that doesn't know this was done.....

It is for the best that these laws are on the books as most people abide by the law if they know it exists.... though it should be pointed out that the law is, in most cases, quite unenforceable. There may be a fine for disabling an air bag but you could never actually levy that fine and collect it if it were contested in a court of law - it couldn't be proven that YOU were responsible.... in the vast majority of cases anyway.

GD

Agreed. They mostly are there to keep shops from disconnecting the SRS just because someone wants it done.

well, it may be against the law to disconnect the air bags in a 93 subaru impreza, but my 2006 ford f350 super duty dually pick up comes with an on / off switch for the passenger side.

so apparently as reality met up with intention, adjustments were made.

i thought we covered this earlier, isn't there a form you can file for disconnecting the air bag.

oh well. :horse:

my 2006 ford f350 super duty dually pick up comes with an on / off switch for the passenger side.

That is standard on trucks (and been that way since the introduction of airbags AFAIK) - it's only to be used if a child seat is being placed in the truck. So unless your child-seat-wearing offspring is going to be driving..... not applicable.

GD

That is standard on trucks (and been that way since the introduction of airbags AFAIK) - it's only to be used if a child seat is being placed in the truck. So unless your child-seat-wearing offspring is going to be driving..... not applicable.

GD

Oh no, hell must have froze over. Rick and I agreed on two things in one thread!!