Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so my sons first car...96 legacy 2.2 automatic

I did all kinds of stuff to get it ready..T belt, pulleys, water pump, t-stat...all OEM

Temp gauge has been fine for a month...running the standard 1/2 way up the temp gauge

Lately it is running 1/4 way up....heat seems warm enough (as if maybe it really IS 1/2 way -but this is hard to judge)

Could it be the gauge sender?

No codes thrown

Where is it...what does it look like

does it need teflon tape on it?

would a used one from a 2.5 outback work (not sure if it has a rubber gasket on it(i would be concerned that it might not seal well if it were old)

thanks guys

They never fail. You should check the coolant cross-over temp with a temp gun - the thermostat may be sticking open. I've had this happen a lot on my parent's Ford's.

All the EJ gauge senders are the same AFAIK. They are 1/8" NPT or BSPT and are on the coolant cross over toward the passenger side - real biotch to access them.

GD

They never fail. You should check the coolant cross-over temp with a temp gun - the thermostat may be sticking open. I've had this happen a lot on my parent's Ford's.

All the EJ gauge senders are the same AFAIK. They are 1/8" NPT or BSPT and are on the coolant cross over toward the passenger side - real biotch to access them.

GD

We have an infared temp gun at work for checking mold temps......but am not sure what exactly you are asking me to check and where and how to do it

While t-stat is a possibility...it is a new suby t-stat (3 months old)...would seem doubtful that its bad...but still possible i guess

thanks general