Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Never gets to Temperature

My 92 Loyal was always in the lower 1/4 of the temperature gauge so I went and replaced the thermostat and temperature sensor thinking that would so the trick. It still does not get above 1/4 and the heater doesn't get very hot. Any ideas of where else to check?

Also, this weekend I went on a little trip (about 300 miles) with my car pretty loaded down with three large guys and lots of camping gear. I was only getting about 24-25 mpg. Is this normal for this load situation? We also had a bit of freeway driving, speeds of about 75.

Thanks

Jesse

Since you've opened up the coolant system, I'll assume that the coolant is full, I know I need to "top off" when my heater only works when the engine is above idle.

+1 on the OEM thermostat, I had a bad one out of the box for my EA a few years ago.

Check to make sure the orientation is correct.

Fuel econ is a bit low, check timing to make sure its correct, 20 deg BTDC with the test connectors plugged together.

Overall how does the car feel for power?

Double check the temp with an infrared temp gun - check the temp behind the upper radiator hose on the *bottom* of the thermostat housing. It might be that your gauge is not accurate (common) and you have a partially clogged heater core. OEM thermostat's are 192*F and you should see about 185* to 200* on the thermostat housing with the temp gun and the engine warmed up - watch for the fan to cycle on and back off again before checking it - make sure that neither the AC or defrost are selected so the fan will not run unless tripped by the thermo-switch in the radiator.

GD

My 93 Loyale only ever gets above the lower 1/4 of the gauge during a long extended hill climb (like a mountain pass). And I get plenty of heat in the car. I'd say that where it's registering on the gauge, and your problem of little heat in the car, are two seperate things. The gauge reading is where it should be, but if you aren't getting heat in the car, check for a clogged heater core.

But yes, always use an OEM thermostat.

Mine never reads half either, I think a lot of them do that.

I too replaced the thermostat to no avail, so I went to my haynes. It gives the resistance that the sensor for the computer should be at when the engine is at temperature, so I warmed it up to as high as the gauge goes and hooked up my meter. It was spot on to what the manual says.

It could also be the sensor, gauge, or the wiring is getting old and has some resistance between the sensor and the gauge causing a low reading.

For the note, the sensor that goes to the computer is at the bottom of the thermostat housing and has 2 wires, the one for the gauge is is on the manifold maybe 2" back with only one wire off it. Best bet is to warm it up and check the resistance on the sensor for the computer. If you don't have a manual I can look the resistance up in mine for you, or it's probably on here somewhere.