Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I was blabbing to a friend how I had bought a forester with blown head gaskets for a song, fixed it up, and is now running like a clock. Next thing I know he is calling me saying he is buying a 2000 Outback with blown HG's and wants to know if I can help him do them. Me and my big mouth. I've done HG's a few times on various cars, so what's one more? What I can't seem to find anywhere is what exact socket I need for the phase II head studs. I used a random, unmarked socket the other times, and I didn't really have alot of faith in it. I am going to be on a tight time frame with the closest store about half an hour away, so I would like to have what I need on hand. The FSM doesn't give any indications as to what socket and I haven't really seen it discussed here. Any leads?

As long as you are not using an imperial socket on it, it should be obvious.... If you ARE using an imperial socket set, stop it and buy a metric one!!

Bolt head sizes on subarus (and most Japanese cars) tend to be:

8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm.

I was fairly sure it was a 14mm, just couldn't couldn't remember how many facets were on it. Most sockets sets only come with the six sided ones so that was all I had at my disposal. I guess if I am going to be called on to do these HG jobs I might as well make sure I have all the proper tools. As for whether it was an imperial socket, there were no markings on it (it was ancient). But as long as it worked without causing any damage to the heads I didn't really give a damn. I do this work out of my father-in-laws shop and am usually at the mercy of his tool selection. It is well equiped, but many of his tools are used to work on his domestic vehicles. Thanks for the help.

if you are doing head remova, head gasket job on a newer one, buy a new SNAP-On or MAC socket, dont even try to use a worn out one on head bolts, those are tight tight tight and you need a good quality socket or else let someone with professional tools do this job. only pro grade sockets. ok

I use a 12pt, 14mm 1/2" drive Craftsman socket all the time for head bolts. Never given me a problem. :confused:. Maybe I shouldn't be classifiying the Craftsman stuff in the super-cheap Harbor Freight socket catagory but it's no Snap-On I'll tell you that. :rolleyes:.

If I could afford to run all Snap-On tools I would - but sadly I can only afford a select few (such as ratchets). Entire socket sets are rediculously expensive.

I do, however, use a Snap-On torque wrench now for my head bolts :grin:.

GD

Ill admit that SnapOn is outside of my budget. I have a 260 piece Craftsman Mechanic Toolkit that I use when working at the garage. So far I have not been missing anything important. I would like a wrench with a ratchet in it, but I can live for now.