Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Betty is my "new" 96 Outback, 4EAT, EJ25, and fairly well thrashed when I got her. Looked like the poor thing had been used as a dumpster and ash tray all it's life. . .

I cleaned up the center console, vacuumed out the interior, and replaced the stock radio and speakers with the ones from my 92 Legacy. when I got her she had no ABS or cruise (bad fuse, fixed) and the driver's door lock had been jammed with a large screwdriver. PO had told me that if you lock teh doors, you have to climb in the hatch and unlock it from there. . . (I found the passenger side door to be much more convenient) Well I fixed that problem by picking up a new key fob for the keyless remote entry system I found already installed under the dash. Oh, and I recharged the A/C so that now works. Getting it home I had a full power loss (bad battery, and the engine lost power) that took a bit to correct, and the PO said the car would do if left to sit for more than a month at a time. . . I got it to fire up again, and did not think about it since, until it started to loose fire on me again. I thought it was a low fuel thing, so I dumped some gas in the tank, but that was not all of the problem. I did get it home and took it out once since then, then I tried to use it the next morning and nothing. . .

Well, no fire anyway. I had a neighbor turn the car on while I listened to the fuel pump, and found the source of all of my problems. . . It was dead. I have the car back on the road for now with the fuel pump from my 92 Legacy, but the motor is smaller on the older pump, and I'm not sure if it is up to the task of feeding that 2.5 for any length of time. . .

My question is this: do any of you have a source for just the pump motor for a 96-99 Outback? the rest of the assembly is just fine, thank you very much, and I cannot afford teh $300 price tag for the entire module. The rest is going to be done a bit at a time, as I'm on a fixed income (which means I'm usually broke. . .)

Walbro pumps are <$100, but overkill for a stock engine.

I'm not sure about interchange, but NASIOC has 'em for sale, if a WRX/STi, low-mileage/used is an option - LINK - you may need an install kit. (I put an STi pump on my '90 Legacy, w/the aid of a Walbro install kit, IIRC.)

DSC00997.jpg?t=1284425272

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

Td

There is no overkill. There is only "Open Fire" and "Damn, I need to reload". . . .:grin:

The Walbro looks good, any idea about the reliability?

They are a common upgrade on turbo cars when upgrading the fuel injectors...I've not read about any reliability issues. I HAVE read they are noisy, but not on my Forester.

There are different sizes, too - @ least a 195lph and 255lph. The 195 is plenty for any stock Subaru (including the WRX/STi - as their stock pumps flow around 175lph.)

GL,

TD

• 2 weeks later...
They are a common upgrade on turbo cars when upgrading the fuel injectors...I've not read about any reliability issues. I HAVE read they are noisy, but not on my Forester.

There are different sizes, too - @ least a 195lph and 255lph. The 195 is plenty for any stock Subaru (including the WRX/STi - as their stock pumps flow around 175lph.)

GL,

TD

Do you know the rating of a 92 Legacy fuel pump? Also, the pump I took out of the Outback had bolt-on connectors, while the one from the Legacy had a plug. Is one of those not normal? The walbro site I have lists the same size for all of them (255lph) which sounds excessive for the early Legacies. Of course, it would not surprise me if Subaru over-engineered yet another system on those cars. . . I swear, that '92 of mine was built to withstand a nuclear attack, I think. . . I have to say, though, that my Outback is comfortable. . . Or at least it will be after I fix the small problem with the transmission (hard shift from 1st to 2nd, and I would not be surprised at torque bind). I'm getting a transmission shop manual for the phase 1 4EAT tomorrow, so I can fix a clients car, and I'll have the reference available then for my own transmission. . . (and my exes, and anyone else that wants me to work on thier early 4EAT).

Do you know the rating of a 92 Legacy fuel pump? Also, the pump I took out of the Outback had bolt-on connectors, while the one from the Legacy had a plug. Is one of those not normal?

Don't know the rating, but I'd guess around 100-110lph.

If you check out my Forester link above you can see how it connected via a plug....I've only dealt w/my '90 Legacy and '98 Forester - both had plugs.

So yours was like this? This a kit from Ebay.:

%21B7IdMf%21%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqQOKioEyY2,4NRyBMzYyJyRIg%7E%7E-1_1.JPG

A look online shows both plugs and bolt-on connectors....my 'guess' is yours has been replaced by the PO?? I didn't see any pics of OB fuel pump assemblies in a quick Google check.

Td

Yes, it is looking a lot like that, and not with a very good either, is my guess. . .

wtdash, do you know if that one for sale on NASIOC is still there? I can't seem to log on anymore. . . If the guy still has it, I'll be glad to take it off his hands. . .

Never mind. . . I fixed the problem by making a new account. . . I'll try to post a few pics later so you can see her in all her beauty. . .

Edited by Gnuman

Well, no pictures yet. Perhaps early next week, after I take all the tools out. I ordered the WRX pump off of NASIOC, and I have a few parts coming in from 1st Subaru Parts. Between that and the parts I'm getting from Zach on this board, I should have a real good start on dressing Betty right up. more later...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be posting pictures soon ( i have to take them, you see), as I have been too busy to do so, with the 93 Leg wagon that lost reverse in it's 4EAT, just as I was almost finished, the owner asked me to reseal the engine. . . That whole job will be done by tomorrow and I'll have my new fuel pump on Monday, I'll bet. When I get paid for the 93, I have parts I need to pay for for Betty, to clean up her cargo area. I already got the parts for the front. When the interior and paperwork are reasonable, I'll be pulling this engine, and perhaps the transmission for reseal, head gaskets, and perhaps new clutches in the transmission. the car has 300K on her, so she will need a bit of TLC in the drive-train area. . . As it is, the engine leaks like a sieve. . . More later!