Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter problem. Please help

I'm getting a "click" when I try to start my '05 legacy wagaon. The battery is new and I've got lights and power, so it's not a power issue. When I turn the key there is a click, following by about a dozen very rapid clicks. Then, nothing.

I don't know if this could be a solenoid contact, starter issue or something else.

I'm a car idiot, so any advice is appreciated....more detail is better than less. But since it won't start I really hate to have to tow it to the shop simply because I can't start it to drive it there. But, if it's not too complicated, I might try fixing it myself and save some coins.

Thanks!

I'm getting a "click" when I try to start my '05 legacy wagaon. The battery is new and I've got lights and power, so it's not a power issue. When I turn the key there is a click, following by about a dozen very rapid clicks. Then, nothing.

I don't know if this could be a solenoid contact, starter issue or something else.

I'm a car idiot, so any advice is appreciated....more detail is better than less. But since it won't start I really hate to have to tow it to the shop simply because I can't start it to drive it there. But, if it's not too complicated, I might try fixing it myself and save some coins.

Thanks!

the first thing to check are your battery connections. they could be dirty, corroded or loose and any of those could cause this problem. the stater pulls a lot of juice and your connections could be good enough to power everything else in the car but not enough to engage the starter.

if corroded, a temporary fix may be to pour a coke over the battery posts. and tap on the connections a little. this may get your car started. then, obviously, drive it immediately to a shop without turning it off. unless you are going to try and fix it yourself in which case get out the wrenches.

the other common cause is bad solenoid contacts on the starter. a jump start with jumper cables may add enough juice to over come this, but if it is the contacts they should be replaced.

is your battery 5 years old??

the first thing to check are your battery connections. they could be dirty, corroded or loose and any of those could cause this problem. the stater pulls a lot of juice and your connections could be good enough to power everything else in the car but not enough to engage the starter.

if corroded, a temporary fix may be to pour a coke over the battery posts. and tap on the connections a little. this may get your car started. then, obviously, drive it immediately to a shop without turning it off. unless you are going to try and fix it yourself in which case get out the wrenches.

the other common cause is bad solenoid contacts on the starter. a jump start with jumper cables may add enough juice to over come this, but if it is the contacts they should be replaced.

is your battery 5 years old??

All the above is good advise. Suggest also to try a battery "jump starting" from another car. Maybe the extra power will get the starter to work.

Like said, clean your battery cables real good to make sure you have a good electrical connection. If you get it started, go to an auto parts store, where they will check your charging system at no cost to verify that your battery and alternator are both good.

I have to agree with John. If the battery is new and charged, then it most likely is bad contacts in the circuit from the battery to the starter. Start from the battery terminals, clean them well, and go down the wires to the starter itself and make sure of condition.

One warning for the inexperienced. Make sure that the battery is disconnected before attacking any of the other wiring. You might be in for a "shocking" experience if not.

Does the car eventually start after a number of times clicking?

If yes, more than likely the starter. If no, still not sure.

Do the lights dim when you turn the key to "click"?

If no, more than likely the starter since the juice isn't getting presented to the starter by the solenoid.

The solution to test the starter issue is to take a broomstick (or equivalent) and tap the starter a few times. If the vehicle then starts you've got the solenoid issue.

I've got the solenoid contact issue on my son's 98 OBW. I actually opened the started and cleaned the contacts out. It diminished the frequency of the problem but he still drives with a 2 ft screwdriver in the back so that he can tap the starter when it doesn't work.

Joe

Hi Guys--thanks for your suggestions. It was the battery cable. I had the battery replaced a couple of weeks ago and the lead out to off the battery to the solenoid was very loose. It tightened down the power cable and the starter worked fine.

Thanks again for your suggestions!