Ultimate Subaru Message Board

harbor freight electric impact wrench

i needed to replace both front axles on my 97obw, bad boots. i have a donor car with "new" looking axles so my plan was to use them. last weekend when i tried to remove an axle nut i did not have my breaker bar so i used my torque wrench. i set it for the max, 250 ft pounds and when it clicked, i quit.

i read a recent thread about using a 3/4" breaker bar and an impact reducer so i went to harbor freight to buy . they had a 3/4" ratchet, but not a breaker bar. so instead o bought an electric impact gun/drill/wrench 50$ and boy is it great.

it made short order of all 4 axle nuts and on 2 of the 4 axles it was great to have for the axle puller. it took a while for the hammering to get the axle to move but it finally did.

i was surprised that it had more trouble with one of the strut bolts than any of the axle bolts.

i also picked up a set of impact deep sockets for 20$, 14mm - 32mm. it was a successful day.

new tools, woo hoo! :banana:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-electric-impact-wrench-45252.html

one of the things i learned while using it, putting on my lug nits at the end. it will start to hammer almost before it has applied any real amount of torque. i applied a quick burst to run up the lug nuts. i was concerned i might over tighten them. so i then used my torque wrench to tighten them. in all cases the nuts needed almost a 1/4 turn to reach 90 ft lbs. this was reassuring since over torquing lug nuts has bent hubs for some cars in the past.

Edited by johnceggleston

I have one for about 5 years now. it has been pretty reliable. one time one of the brushes popped out on me when the cap worked loose, but i just put it back in. there were times where i had to re-tighten the screws holding it together. so far it has never fail me, and i use it quite often

For some reason, sometimes a long extension on a breaker bar will break a bolt or three better than an impact gun. I use a Husky Professional air gun that puts out 500 lbs torque max tightening and nearly 300 loosening. There's been a few times that it wouldn't break a bolt but a breaker bar would.

The stubborn ones undercar often seem to benefit from heating them. If you don't have oxy, or cannot afford it, MAPP gas works nearly as well.