Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Obviously a popular choice for timing kits here amongst the experienced members. I'm looking at their kit for my 96 Legacy, sitting at 180k on the ticker, I believe a leaky front crank seal, and a water pump or gasket that leaks roughly a quart of coolant between oil changes. I'm wondering how their water pumps are? Is it worth getting the full kit with pump, or should I just get the belt kit and tensioners and go to Subaru for a pump? Already going there for cam and crank seals, oil pump O ring, and the little bypass hose on the side of the water pump.

I've installed many of their idler sets.

I usually buy a Dayco belt local, and the WP is the same local where I'm getting plugs, accessory belts, etc so I just get them there.

I did install one of their MitshbOshi belts on a 95 2.2 a few years ago and haven't heard anything back.

I know that I've probbaly installed atleast 5 sets of their idlers that have gone another 100k because the folks asked me to do the next timing belt job and I don't work on other folks cars.

Still a better gamble than letting OEM's go that long, and much more affordable than dealer. An excellent compromise.

It'll SUCK.

I've had to follow folks who used crap like this before. Can't swear it was Indian Head but how many other products like that are there?

OEM, dry, done.

Another sidebar discussion. Just like the only rear main seals I've ever needed to replace had already been replaced. The only leaking waterpumps have always been the gasket, and always cardboard or permatex, or Indian Head - never OEM. Something else to think about.

Did I mention - just get the OEM gasket?

How is the Indian Head stuff to clean up when you change the pump the next time?

Comes off pretty easy with a solvent. Indian head doesn't "dry" per-se. It does harden but you can still kinda mush it around like tar. It sticks to EVERYTHING though, and it WILL NOT come out of clothing. (How do I know that?! :lol:) So you have to be careful with it.

Only two things I will use on water pumps - OEM metal gasket (prefered in this case) or loctite 518 (which I use on EA's). Either will work fine. The 518 peels right off leaving a nice clean surface since it remains somewhat flexible. It seals like nothing else though. Subaru crankcase halves, oil pumps, water pumps, etc - it won't clog any passages since it doesn't dry except in the absence of oxygen.

That Indian Head stuff is old tech. I wouldn't even consider using it on anything. There are now much better options even for 1950's gaskets.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder