Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cold start question

I've searched these forums and haven't found the right answer, so here it goes:

I just got an '85 GL wagon 4wd w/ carburetor. It's got a little rust, but it runs pretty good all things considered.

The problem is that it will not start if it's colder than about 40 deg.

Disclaimer - I'm a novice at best, with car things.

I figured out that if I hold the butterfly valve on the carburetor closed while someone cranks it, it starts right up. I tried cleaning off the easy-to-get-to parts of the carburetor with carb cleaner, but other than that I don't know how to fix the it so that it starts without me having to manually hold that butterfly valve shut.

Any suggestions?

The choke spring is broken - they have a "hook" bent into the end of the bi-metal spring that engages the choke plate lever. After years of use and cold-temp starting the choke spring wear through at the hook and no longer catches the plate lever - rendering the choke plate fully open at all times. You can replace the electric choke (go to the dealer for this part and be prepared for sticker shock) or conver it to a manual choke using some of the generic kits that are availible at most auto-parts stores - there is usually some mild fabrication involved, removal of the air filter housing, drilling of the rivets holding the choke on, and a bit of work installing the manual choke cable through the firewall and mounting it under the dash, etc.

Another alternative is to install a Weber carb instead. This will give an increase in performance as well as fix your choke problem and is well worth the entry price of ~$350 or so. About twice the price of the electric choke part from the dealer but worth every penny unlike the dealer part which is only fixing an already old and crappy carb.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Thanks for the help. Is a Weber carb something I could hope to find at a salvage yard? I mean, $350 is more than I want to spend on a really old car, so I might be looking at installing a manual choke. Anybody have s suggestion about where I could get a cheap/used Weber carb?

Craigslist (if its in your area)

I had a Weber 36/32 DGEV on my 84 GL wagon that I sold to Pooparu for $125 cuz it needed to be rebuilt. I think he just got $175 for it...

So look on forums (here and others) and look for a Weber 36/32 with a Subaru adapter plate.

Not to be a pain, but I dont think youll find one in a junkyard...

Wait for a typically cold morning in your area, and do this adjustment before starting the car.

Remove the air cleaner.

Remove the choke spring cover. Some models they are riveted, drill out rivets.

Chisel off the small tab on the rim around the choke lever, this will let you reposition the cover.

Then bend a new hook into the end of the choke spring.

replace choke cover, catching the spring on the lever. Rotate the cover until the choke flap closes and then use sheetmetal screws to secure cover in place. If it doesn't want to stay tight, you may have to put a slight bend in the ring that "locks" the choke cover.

If you set it too tight, the engine will choke excessively long, and will high idle more than needed. So it may take a few adjustments to get it "just right"

You may need to re-adjust when the weather changes drastically again (typically each fall and spring)