Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Different transmission for 93 2WD Impreza?

Hi --

Sorry for the newbie question, but I could really use some help :-)

I have a manual transmission, 2wd, 1993 Impreza and the transmission is shot. It has an EJ18 engine (which is in really good shape, btw). So, I'm in the market and am wondering if I have to limit myself to just '93, 2wd manuals.

It's my understanding that different models from that era use similar if not exactly the same transmissions, but I'd really appreciate some definite info from someone who knows. Any particular years/models that work besides a 1993 Impreza? and any "gotcha's" to look out for?

Help, please.

Thanks!

-Ben

Any 90 to 95 2WD Impreza or Legacy transmission will work. After '95 Subaru did not make 2WD's for the US market.

GD

I think 93 and 94 Impreza FWD 5 gear trannys had 23 spline axles and everything else was 25 spline. If you find a gearbox you may want to do an axle stub spline count.

the early impreza FWD's have a different spline count than others, so that's why it's limited when you're looking for suitable replacements. but you can use other transmissions if you swap axles as well to match the spline count on the axle shafts.

so yes, you can use a legacy trans or later impreza trans, you'll just have to swap both front axles as well to match the trans.

or i guess you could disassemble the transmissions and swap the front diffs, but that's an insane amount of work to avoid swapping two axles that are already partially removed.