Ultimate Subaru Message Board

General Forester Reliability Info

I'm considering replacing my current 07 impreza with a Forester of a slightly older vintage (02-06, most likely). I checked Consumer Reports, and the older models look fairly reliable, except for bad marks on the engine through 2004. Was this a specific problem that can be fixed, or was this something more serious that was ironed out in the 05/06 model year?

Also, is there anything specific I should be worried about with a Forester of this age?

The bad marks on the engine were related to the headgaskets. My understanding is that Subaru introduced a revised headgasket design that resolves the problem. So, if the head gaskets have been replaced on the car you're looking at, then odds are its just fine.

If you are looking at a car with the automatic trans, make sure it exhibits no signs of torque bind. Put it on an asphalt parking lot, crank the steering wheel all the way to the lock and drive around in a circle. If the car tries to crow hop, that's torque bind. Find another car. Oh yes...when you perform this test, make sure the FWD fuse is not inserted. That'll be under the hood on the passenger side up against the firewall.

head gaskets are the main concern. some foresters had rear wheel bearing issues too - i've replaced them in 2000 Foresters, not sure exactly what years that refers too but that's not that difficult of a repair and will never strand you (unless you're that out of touch with maintenance).

there's probably a site where you can research all the recalls as well if you're interested in those.

after seeing my dads 98 forester, i would say they are as good as a 90-94 legacy, except for the headgaskets. In my opinion, comparing it to my brothers 99 outback it is way better. Comparing it to my parents 06 legacy, the 98 forester is way better. Comparing to my 94ss, about the same in quality

my dad says his 98 drives better than the 06.

To see if the headgaskets are currently failing, you need to test drive it for 30 minute highway drive, and then pull into a parking lot, with car running, and pop hood quick and look into the top of overflow tank. If you see BUBBLES, it is failing or has failed.

Stay with something prior to 07.......like 98-07

the new ones are HUGE.

To see if the headgaskets are currently failing, you need to test drive it for 30 minute highway drive, and then pull into a parking lot, with car running, and pop hood quick and look into the top of overflow tank. If you see BUBBLES, it is failing or has failed.

That only applies to '98s - the '99 and up Foresters got the SOHC engine so they are completely different animals.

I would avoid the '98s as that is the DOHC EJ25D and has more serious HG issues than the SOHC engine on the '99 and up. It's also more expensive to work on.

How you can think the Forester is higher quality (based on the cheap Impreza) than a '99 OBW is beyond me. There's little actual difference except the OBW is a higher end model and better appointed usually.

GD