Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I am looking for an entire Exedy clutch kit with flywheel. I have found a few vendors online that have both for under 300 dollars yet they don't specifically list a 98 legacy outback as a compatible vehicle. From what I am guessing many of the 2.5 liter engines and trannys used the same clutch and flywheel. Can anyone confirm this for me? The Subaru part number for the flywheel is the same for a 98 2.5rs and the 98 outback as well. If anyone has any recommended vendors that would be helpful as well.

I was thinking this one: http://gripforce.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_38_224_225&products_id=427

The product description is wrong but I called and the part numbers are correct. (oh, and the vendor didn't even know the answer to my question)

My flywheel has been resurfaced twice and from what I've read it's time for a new one now.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by afterbang
added info.

That will fit fine.

Be careful of lightweight flywheels. They can create engine vibration at low RPM. The idea sounds nice and all, but when you remove weight from the crankshaft/flywheel assembly, you change the potential energy of that rotating mass. This means it will respond differently when engaging, and will reduce it's ability to "smooth out" the changes in crankshaft velocity at lower rpm.

[...]Be careful of lightweight flywheels. They can create engine vibration at low RPM. The idea sounds nice and all, but when you remove weight from the crankshaft/flywheel assembly, you change the potential energy of that rotating mass. This means it will respond differently when engaging, and will reduce it's ability to "smooth out" the changes in crankshaft velocity at lower rpm.
that price is for the oem regular flywheel and clutch kit. i will be ordering that one up tomorrow. [...]

Fairtax4me makes a valid point, so it's good to use an OEM or equal. Some people run into stalling problems with a lightweight clutch/flywheel, or at least find that they have to modify their technique.

That will fit fine.

Be careful of lightweight flywheels. They can create engine vibration at low RPM. The idea sounds nice and all, but when you remove weight from the crankshaft/flywheel assembly, you change the potential energy of that rotating mass. This means it will respond differently when engaging, and will reduce it's ability to "smooth out" the changes in crankshaft velocity at lower rpm.

you're wright lightweight flywheel is meant for racing ...and I don't see any benefits on street driving.

I ALWAYS replace the clips.

Infact I just picked up a set for a local garage that did a clutch job and now has troubles.

Not positive they are the problem in this case but I have seen them be the problem, along with a cracked fork.

I'd get new clips at the dealer (like 5 bucks) and inspect the clutch fork closely.

No sense in needing to possibly repull the engine/trans for a couple of bucks in parts and forgetting to examine the fork.

Flywheel resurface is about $30 at your local machine shop - no real reason to replace it if you are going with OEM unless it's been resurfaced two or three times already.

*edit* - just noticed you say it's been resurfaced twice..... I would go for a third but that's me. They don't take off much - usually .005" to .010" so three times would still be less than .050". Unless you have another reason to want to replace it. You could also go for a used one and have it resurfaced.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Used from a pick and pull maybe. Salvage yards around here want around $50 - $90 for a flywheel, if they'll even sell you one without buying a whole engine. Plus $40 to have it resurfaced, and the ONLY machine shop left around here charges extra to remove the alignment dowels. (Not sure if others do the same, but I was pretty ticked about an extra $10 charge for something I could have easily done myself.)

By the time you pay for all that you might as well buy a new one.

that price is for the oem regular flywheel and clutch kit. i will be ordering that one up tomorrow. its like 280 with shipping and that's the best deal ive found so far. the dealer wants that much for just the flywheel.

I didn't read the rest I just saw the "Lightweight" in the description. :grin:

I am for sure getting the Exedy OE Flywheel and Clutch Kit. I am under the assumption this is what Subaru used from the factory. Thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate it. I don't have any interest in a lightweight flywheel, I just am all for factory parts.