Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need lots of help with project

im thinking of taking the whole entire turbo engine and such from a Subaru GL-10 station wagon and putting it in my 1987 Subaru GL wagon. now, i know thats a lot of work and i dont care, here's what i want to know. everything i will need from the old car to make the engine work right in mine, and i need to make sure i dont need any super special tools. also, i was wondering, if i just wanted to maybe take the turbo from the junk Subaru and put it on my motor, would it damage anything on my motor, seeing as its the the non turbo engine??? im afraid the turbo hurting my connecting rods.

turbo on an NA engine = Kaboom

if you are doing a swap I'd pull the whole engine harness, dash harness, and anything else tied to the ECU. Plus if your car is Carbureted you'll probably want the fuel tank as well. Once done you will have a 115hp car with two timing belts for about the same amount of work it takes to install an EJ22 with 142hp.

turbo on an NA engine = Kaboom

if you are doing a swap I'd pull the whole engine harness, dash harness, and anything else tied to the ECU. Plus if your car is Carbureted you'll probably want the fuel tank as well. Once done you will have a 115hp car with two timing belts for about the same amount of work it takes to install an EJ22 with 142hp.

see, thats what i was thinking of doing. i helped a friend of mine with a engine swap on his Honda Prelude so i have the whole entire wiring stuff down, and he was gonna help me strip the wiring out and put it in my car, but i would also have to take the instrument panel seeing as the car i want the motor from is a GL-10 with the digital dash. so it would be hella work, but we could do it. also, i kinda want to do this for my end of the year project of the my class at the vocational center.

look at me saying crap. anyway, i got a deal on the motor and wiring harness for only 250 dollars, and the motor has only 131,000 miles on it, versus the 200,000 miles my motor has. also, this motor i want to take doesnt have lifters that clack like f'in hell.

im asking for the help and what i need to do cause i already bought the whole motor and wiring harness for only 250 bucks. more info in below reply to other person. so, even though you didnt say much, i can tell your probably know a lot and know what your talking about, so give me what i asked for, help!

Well, I am gonna start by agreeing that an EJ22 swap would be a better upgrade. But then you gotta buy an adapter plate and drill a flywheel, and solve the radiator issue. Since you already have bought this EA82T setup, you can look at it as good practice for swapping a Fuel Injected system into an older car.

So here goes:

You don't need the entire dash and all that. You don't even need most of the wiring in the loom. There in lie the biggest chore of the swap, stripping the loom.

What you need is all the wiring that runs from the ECU to the Engine.

Don't forget the stuff that runs to the Coil, the MAF, and the Pressure switch/wastgate solenoid, and possibly the Knock Unit if it had one (85, 86) You also will need the Downpipe/Catalytic for the Turbo car.

Once you have the harness and all your parts removed, lay them all out and connect all the engine connections. Strip down and cut out all the extra stuff (alt connectors, AC, Headlights, wipers, etc....) Leave any wires that go to any of the engine stuff.

Then the harness can be mated to the car "piggyback" style, like we do with EJ and SPFI swaps. This way will be easier than trying to remove the entire bulkhead harness and mating it to the GL body harness. Espescially given that your car is an 87 model. (lots of oddball connectors, wire colors, one year only then everything changed again)

2 Questions:

What year is your donor GL-10 harness, ECU, and engine?

Did you get the MAF, Coil, and if donor is an 86 or 85 model the Knock control unit from the passenger end of the dash?

Oh yeah, you'll need the MPFI fuel pump as well.

Well, I am gonna start by agreeing that an EJ22 swap would be a better upgrade. But then you gotta buy an adapter plate and drill a flywheel, and solve the radiator issue. Since you already have bought this EA82T setup, you can look at it as good practice for swapping a Fuel Injected system into an older car.

So here goes:

You don't need the entire dash and all that. You don't even need most of the wiring in the loom. There in lie the biggest chore of the swap, stripping the loom.

What you need is all the wiring that runs from the ECU to the Engine.

Don't forget the stuff that runs to the Coil, the MAF, and the Pressure switch/wastgate solenoid, and possibly the Knock Unit if it had one (85, 86) You also will need the Downpipe/Catalytic for the Turbo car.

Once you have the harness and all your parts removed, lay them all out and connect all the engine connections. Strip down and cut out all the extra stuff (alt connectors, AC, Headlights, wipers, etc....) Leave any wires that go to any of the engine stuff.

Then the harness can be mated to the car "piggyback" style, like we do with EJ and SPFI swaps. This way will be easier than trying to remove the entire bulkhead harness and mating it to the GL body harness. Espescially given that your car is an 87 model. (lots of oddball connectors, wire colors, one year only then everything changed again)

2 Questions:

Did you get the MAF, Coil, and if donor is an 86 or 85 model the Knock control unit from the passenger end of the dash?

thank you, thank you, thank you. my grandpa will be glad to hear this. he is the one who payed for my motor for me to do this swap, and he thought i was getting into too much work as far as the wiring goes. but now that you told me i only need the engine wiring stuff and ECU, thats very help full. means i dont have to tear out my whole dashboard.

2 Questions:

yes, i get the everything as far as wiring goes. but now that you told me i dont need all or it, i will only take what i need. for the fuel pump, what all do i need besides the pump??

oh, car is a 1993 Subaru GL-10

Uhhh..... no.

there where not any GL-10s after 88 or 89, IIRC.

Not to mention there weren't even any EA82T's made past '90 :rolleyes:

And "GL-10" is a trim package - it's meaningless. There were GL-10's that were not turbo. For all intents and purposes around here you can call it and EA82T - because that's what it is.

But GLoyale's questions still stands - what year *is* it? '85/'86 would be completely different from '87+ and '87 will be slightly different from '88/'89. If it's from an '85/'86...... RUN AWAY.... FAST! Those are super primitive and you don't want one.

Pictures would help.

And as always - you should be doing an EJ22 swap. This is going to end badly.... :rolleyes:

GD

Not to mention there weren't even any EA82T's made past '90 :rolleyes:

And "GL-10" is a trim package - it's meaningless. There were GL-10's that were not turbo. For all intents and purposes around here you can call it and EA82T - because that's what it is.

But GLoyale's questions still stands - what year *is* it? '85/'86 would be completely different from '87+ and '87 will be slightly different from '88/'89. If it's from an '85/'86...... RUN AWAY.... FAST! Those are super primitive and you don't want one.

Pictures would help.

And as always - you should be doing an EJ22 swap. This is going to end badly.... :rolleyes:

GD

well, for some reason the guy at the junk yard told me it was a 1993, so they are the ones messed up. i think its a 1985, judging by the big circled "85" on the outside of the car. it doesnt matter anymore anyway, for the EA82T or the EJ22. after i told my grandpa about the the fuel system stuff he said no. since he's one the paying for all or it, well, i guess thats just how it plays out for now. im pissed off about it too. i guess im just gonna be pulling all the a/c stuff since my car doesnt have the a/c lines, and im gonna take the rear disc brakes too for now.

edit: oh and hey, if anyone knows of stuff i can do to my original EA82 carb motor better (besides Weber carb swap, im doing that) please let me know.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

And as always - you should be doing an EJ22 swap. This is going to end badly....

100% agreed Ej it and get it done with! That's what I'm doing with my Brat, I have been down the older turbocharged engines road once, after a year of wiring issues I stuck my stock engine back in. Now I'm doing an Ej engine, skip the step I neglected to and you will be MUCH happier! Just my .02

-SB

after i told my grandpa about the the fuel system stuff he said no. since he's one the paying for all or it, well, i guess thats just how it plays out for now.

What "fuel system stuff"? That's like the easiest part - grandpa doesn't think you can handle some gasoline?!? :lol:

You change some soft lines (to FI rated) and install a different pump - pretty much as simple as that.

GD

One moderator editted this thread. One Admin deleted half the thread. I am locking it. Stay on topic. This is not an EJ swap thread.

Rick, just because you don't like something doesn't mean others can not build them. Back off a little!