Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strong fuel smell inside car

Sorry, for not stating that its a 1992 Subaru Legacy. I am getting a strong order smell inside the car. It happens when its warm and cold. I haven't notice any fuel leaks. How can I tell if its the EVAP canister or the EVAP Purge Solenoid? Also, where is the EVAP Purge Solenoid located? I also get the smell through the vents.

Edited by iransom
Additional information

It is probably not either of those - those do not produce cabin smells when they fail (and they fail often enough that we would know - plus the purge solenoid would throw a code).

It is more likely to be something with your fuel filler neck area or the vapor lines that go to another "canister" vapor box thing that's behind some of the trim panels in the back of the car.....

GD

I agree with GD, had that same prob on my old 75 Chevy PU a few years ago, one more thing to check and it sounds crazy but, check the spark plugs to be sure they are not loose in any way. I'd also check ALL the fuel lines. If the spark plugs are loose at all you will get a lot of blow-by, which will cause you to smell what should be in the combustion chamber, I have had it happen. But my money is on the tank filler and or fuel lines.