Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which one should I buy: 06 Impreza Vs 05 Outback

hi all

i am looking to buy a car(wagon) for around $9000. I found these two cars

1. 2006 Impreza Wagon 2.5i, 66k miles

2. 2005 Outback Wagon 2.5i, 88k miles

I checked AutoCheck(like CARFAX) for both the vehicles, they are clean titles.

I have a few questions for experienced Subaru users:

1. I have Head a lot about Head Gasket problem, are these models affected by that.
  2. Which is a more reliable car. I want to drive this for a long time.
  3. Other than the size, does Outback has any other advantages over Impreza.(or otherwise)
  4. Based on the mileage of these vehicles, what expenses should I expect in the near future.

Please help me understand the positives and negatives for these vehicles.

Thanks a lot in advance.

They are very similar - engine and drivetrain, etc will be almost identical. Head gaskets should not be a big issue for them - all cars can and do have gasket failures and there's no gaurantee that you won't have a problem down the line. But the failure rate on the '05 and up stuff is low. Just remember - it's a *gasket* - it's not like the engine is a mechanical failure - it's just a seal between the cylinder and the head. They have a lifespan and it's usually somewhere around 200k to 250k miles depending on too many factors to list. This is true of most modern cars - you buy a ford or chevy and chances are you will be replaceing the head gaskets at some point around that same mileage.

It comes down to what you want - the Legacy Outback (I'm assuming it's a Legacy Outback and not an Impreza OBS?) are nicer and higher-end cars. They typically have a nicer interior package, a LOT more leg room and cargo space.

Personally I like the Legacy's better. But it's really up to you.

GD

impreza verses legacy is going to come down to personal preference. i prefer the ground clearnance of the legacy/OBW's, but the impreza's do drive and handle really nice....naturally since they're lower to the ground. legacy's tend to get nicer stuff too....options, accessories, etc, just depends what you like. i wanted VDC and side impact air bags, and the larger capacity due to kids, only available in the legacy's for what i was looking for.

if space is ever going to be a concern due to kids, traveling, outdoors, equipment, work, etc, get the OBW if it's larger. Plan ahead. People often buy something and then a year or two later realize the extra space would have been nice. in general i'd lean towards larger if you use you have any life situations that are nice to have space for.

for the most part subaru doesn't change much so the engine and transmissions in the legacy's and impreza's are identical unless you get an H6 or the STi Turbo with DCCD, etc. so that imp and leg will have the same engine and trans...and lots of other interchangeable suspension bits too, so relaibility wise they're about the same.

2005 is thrown around as the year that headgaskets shouldn't be an issue but there are a handful of reported headgaskets issues so far. hard to say, many just get fixed because they're so new, under warranty, valuable, so it's not "seen" as much until they start to age. hard to say if those are anomaly's or indicative of anything. subaru's extended 100,000 mile headgasket warranty was applicable to 2000-2004 2.5 liters.

a friend of mine is looking at a 2003 OBW with an H6 for $9,200, i might go look at it with him with 75,000 miles. nicer vehicle and engine in my opinion, he's leaning towards and H6.

cars101.com has all sorts of good information to compare models and options.

Edited by grossgary

Thanks a lot GeneralDisorder & grossgary

I am comparing 06 Imreza wagon & 05 Legacy OBW....now i understand that both are mostly identical mechanically.

I agree with gary, size is one of the reason I am looking for a wagon. My only concern is that the 05 OBW has 88k miles, should i expect a lot of maintenance cost at 100k mark? thats the only thing thats pushing me towards the impreza.

Can you give me a rough idea of the average 100k maintenance costs.

your inputs are greatly appreciated.

The timing belt job would be comming up at 105k for both of those vehicles. It's roughly a $1000 to $1500 job depending on what you have replaced (if you have it done at the dealer). There are members of this board that can and do provide shop services (I am one of them but I'm not local to you) and the rate is much more reasonable - somewhere in the $750 range I would guess. The parts are around $250 to $300 if you buy quality aftermarket, or somewhere around $800 if you buy them from Subaru and have everything replaced. The labor is about 4 to 6 hours typically.

Other than that job (which would take the car to 210k without any further major scheduled service), it's just maintenance items and fluid changes, etc. Relatively minor stuff really.

I would still go for the OBW - that is a cost that you will incur either way. And you have another easy 25k to put on the OBW before it would need to be done. Unless you drive a TON that's at least a year away for most people - possibly two years.

GD

The timing belt job would be comming up at 105k for both of those vehicles. It's roughly a $1000 to $1500 job depending on what you have replaced (if you have it done at the dealer). There are members of this board that can and do provide shop services (I am one of them but I'm not local to you) and the rate is much more reasonable - somewhere in the $750 range I would guess. The parts are around $250 to $300 if you buy quality aftermarket, or somewhere around $800 if you buy them from Subaru and have everything replaced. The labor is about 4 to 6 hours typically.

Other than that job (which would take the car to 210k without any further major scheduled service), it's just maintenance items and fluid changes, etc. Relatively minor stuff really.

I would still go for the OBW - that is a cost that you will incur either way. And you have another easy 25k to put on the OBW before it would need to be done. Unless you drive a TON that's at least a year away for most people - possibly two years.

GD

GD,

This is a 2005 Outback Wagon 2.5i with 88000miles. This is from a dealer and is listed at $9495. In KBB the least value for private party is $9530 while the Retail suggested price is $13,805. Do I have to be suspicious abut this deal.

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/subaru/outback/2005/private-party-value/pricing-report?condition=good&id=1605&equipment=61807|true&mileage=88000

your input helped me a lot,

Thanks

I would have to wonder why they are selling it so cheap - but if it has a clear title and clear carfax then I would guess they just got a smoking deal on it from a trade-in and want it off the lot. There's not a lot of things that can go wrong with these at 88k. Perhaps they aren't that familar with Subaru's and the market for them in TX is small?

Look it over carefully for fluid leaks, etc. Ask for maintenance records if they have them or can get them. But otherwise - if it runs and drives fine with no strange noises I don't see any reason not to buy it.

GD

what he said, either car is going to go to 200,000 miles with about the same maintenance costs so i'd get what you want, those few thousand miles aren't enough to worry about in my opinion.

timing belt is coming up at 100k - i'd do the transmission fluid and coolant then too if it's never been done.

as to costs, i'd guess Texas isn't a Subaru rich area? where I live and more so where GD lives there's Subaru's everywhere. i'd guess prices average lower down south, i saw very few subarus in atlanta when i lived there for 9 years. Dealers make the most money on used car sales, they absolutely clean house. They don't have much into that car at all so they're making a ton of money on it.

Have you tried craigslist or autotrader? personal private party sales are far better buys for the kind of car and price range you're looking for. you'll get a one owner vehicle rather than something that's traveled, been auctioned and ends up at a dealer who knows nothing about the car.

who's more likely to personally sell something....an abused, neglected, or problematic vehicle.....or someone with a great car? what's more likely to be traded in? granted it's a tiny risk on such a new car but given the costs and other advantages, actually talking the original owner, is something i prefer and have had excellent results from.