Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Xt6 timing belt tensioners

ebay, rockauto, and thepartsbin.com are decent sources for cheap parts.

to clarify - what do you mean by "tensioner" - do you mean just the hydraulic tensioner itself or are you talking about the tensioner pulley assembly? it's a two part mechanism on the drivers side.

and there's technically a passengers side belt tensioner assembly too, but i'm assuming you're talking about the drivers side.

if it's the hydraulic part, just get a used one they almost never fail, not worth the cost for new.

if it's one of the assemblies, technically you could have shop press in new bearings. bearings are typically a few dollars a piece plus machine shop top, might just let them do all of them.

you can also use a needle attachment for a grease gun, pry up the bearing seal, inject grease, and press the bearing cap seal back down. i just did one this week on an XT6 that way. not perfect but usable and cheap.

at $150 you might as well buy a complete kit on ebay for $299 that includes all the pulleys and belts.

I don't know about specifically the XT6 pulley's but even on the EJ's most of the bearings are pretty easy to knock out with a punch and install a $6 bearing with a couple sockets and a hammer. Generally on stuff this size a press is uneccesary - the bearing fit's on these aren't that tight.

I don't often *bother* doing this as the EJ pulley's are cheap from ebay etc. I just get the whole kit because my time is more valuable than saving $5 per pulley (and having to custom build a "kit" containing only the parts I couldn't rebuild :rolleyes:). But for the XT6 it might be worth it if the kit is truely $300 :eek:. Hell even the EJ25's are around $225 for everything. That's a high figure for an '80s car IMO. Rareity is not kind to parts pricing.

GD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-1991-Subaru-XT6-2-7-H6-Timing-Belt-Kit-/370449541983?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru%7CSubmodel%3AXT6&hash=item5640836b5f

:eek: 399.00 from the import experts....Im hoping I find a recently installed timing kit on mine next weekend, changing my waterpump, front main and oil pump mount gasket.

ouch! the fsm calls for removing a rubber plug and screw from the lower side of the adjuster, and using a flat bladed screwdriver at the bottom of the adjuster, turning clockwise to compress the rubber boot, and installing pn 13082AA000 adjuster stopper...looks like I need to buy another tool....

good luck, ill bet if you put up an add here someone would have a good used to hook you up with

That's what I did (per the Chilton's manual) and it broke it. I have a picture from ??. but it shows the cyliner compressed down with a piece of steel that holds it down with a zip tie that you cut to release when you install. If this is what the dealer gives me, I don't mind spending the $'s.

Hi,

I want to correct the mistaken idea that these tensioners are hydrolic, these are spring tensioners! they do not have any hydrolic function at all. the oil put in is to lubricate them, and there is no port for pressure to enter anywhere on them, they have a wind up spring inside and will only take up slack as it is presented and do not give any back, its a one way slack tensioner with no give back. you can make the little tool to hold it compressed from a little strip of sheet metal. the pivot and bearing assembly is what normally wears out, those you can buy new . you might be able to get a used tensioner from someone with xt6 parts left, try asking on subaruxt.com . the rubber boot on the top of the tensioner is needed to keep them clean inside so they work. good luck on the hunt !

Special tools for Subaru's are not handled through the dealer anymore - they are handled by Kent-Moore.....bend over and grab your ankles! :lol:

http://subaru.spx.com/

GD

thanks GD ! just ordered one up, almost 11 bucks with shipping/tax, good insurance:grin:

I was tempted to order a flywheel stopper also, but 76 bucks, i think i can fake it

the tensioner itself, just by it used, i've never seen one fail....but i've only owned 20 XT's and am moderator of subaruxt.com. :lol:

the easiest way to install is to retract it with a right angle screw driver and bolt it in place, then yank the screw driver when you're all done. it holds it retracted, got details of doing that on subaruxt.com.

i have the subaru tool and it's nice but i actually use the right angle screw driver method still, like just last week.

GD - the XT6 bearings i'm pretty sure are much more difficult than that to remove. the ones i've tried, i ended up shattering the sliding surfaces before the bearings even budged at all.

the tensioner itself, just by it used, i've never seen one fail....but i've only owned 20 XT's and am moderator of subaruxt.com. :lol:

the easiest way to install is to retract it with a right angle screw driver and bolt it in place, then yank the screw driver when you're all done. it holds it retracted, got details of doing that on subaruxt.com.

i have the subaru tool and it's nice but i actually use the right angle screw driver method still, like just last week.

GD - the XT6 bearings i'm pretty sure are much more difficult than that to remove. the ones i've tried, i ended up shattering the sliding surfaces before the bearings even budged at all.

Hey GG, what product and who are you using on your timing components?

Hey GG' date=' what product and who are you using on your timing components?[/quote']is that a generic question or in reference to something specific said?

i have a stock pile of new XT6 belts and tensioners accumulated over the years. as i posted earlier there are no XT6 timing belt kit suppliers - they're $399 or $299 on ebay for the complete kit.

i posted a couple "work-arounds" in an earlier post on this thread. also as I posted earlier, i typically regrease mine if i don't have new. that's worked fine for years so if i ever have gobs of free time (unlikely) i'll entertain having new bearings pressed in an old set of pulleys.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put the tenioner in a vise, cut a length of trusty old mechanics wire, retract the tensioner with a screwdriver, and then secure it in the retracted position with the wire around the tensioner body. You have to judge where to run the wire so you can bolt it down to the motor. Cut the wire with dykes when it's in position with the belt on. It's not exactly easy, but I had to figure out how to get it on in a jam one day, and after I figured out the position, I haven't used any other method. It just works quicker than the mail.

in a vice to compress it or hold it? it has a screw for retracting. that's a good idea though as it's unstable trying to hold the tension with one hand and fabricate with another.

right angle screw driver FTW. works 100% of the time and is easy. i think i have pix at subaruxt.com. i have a clip to hold it and still use the right angle screw driver.

Edited by grossgary

• 1 year later...
in a vice to compress it or hold it? it has a screw for retracting. that's a good idea though as it's unstable trying to hold the tension with one hand and fabricate with another.

right angle screw driver FTW. works 100% of the time and is easy. i think i have pix at subaruxt.com. i have a clip to hold it and still use the right angle screw driver.

*** SOME XT6 covers don't have the lower plug to access this.

Use the vise to hold it while you work on it.:headbang:and listening to AC/DC helps too.