Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock radio pinout question.

I have the stock radio in my 89GL.

I want to add an aux input to it, so I was wondering if anyone could supply me with the pinout of the little black connector on the back by the antenna wire (BTW, why isn't that removable?!). I assume that connector would go to a tape player, if my car had that option installed, so it must be a simple pinout to hack.

Thanks for any info!

Oh, and not to sound like a jerk, but. Please don't tell me to get a Dual Xwhatever or some other after market radio. The one in there works fine, has good enough quality to run 22 year old speakers, I don't want to buy new speakers and re-wire, etc. I like hacking things like this, and it looks like an easy project.

The antenna wire is only a short one - like 10" or so and then you will find the *real* antenna connector. You can add an extension wire to that from any stereo shop when/if you want to install something different. But yeah - the wire on the back of the unit is not easily removable.

And actually those deck's are fine but you will probably find (if you look) that the speakers are shot from age. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace those - the stock deck will just sound that much better if you do. Especially the front door speakers - easy and cheap.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Here ya go!

IMG_3422.jpg

I hacked Linux onto my iPod (like everything I own, wireless routers, printers.... etc). It doesn't need Linux for this to work.

It's a pretty simple mod. Take the stopper thing out of the plug, it connects the radio output to the amp input. Amp input goes to the center of a DPST switch, radio output goes to one side, ipod output goes to the other. You could do a regular headphone input if you wanted, I made another custom thingy for my iPod because that way it can charge and turn on and off with the car, etc. It's pretty awesome. But that's a whole different mod and lotsa wiring, now I have a custom iPod input thing on my Legacy and my GL. And an iPod for each ... It's awesome :banana:

Only weird thing is the radio still looks like it's playing (because it is...) when the iPod is inputting. The output from the radio just isn't going anywhere. There's probably a signal pin to change it to TAPE or something, out of the 4 pins I used, one other one is 12v, and then there are 3 more. Probably to display tape functions, but I've personally seen a tape player with that radio in a GL, and what's on the display doesn't really make any difference to me. I'm pretty happy with how it is.

Also, if someone is going to do this, I'll make it a bit easier. As you're looking at the back of the radio, the 2 pins on the right are radio output, and the 2 on the left are amp input. (the 2 pins that have the jumper thing going into them, it's obvious when you have it apart)