Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i posted some info on this in your engine thread i think. good luck finding a solution one way or the other.

if price is a concern another option might be an EJ18, no one wants those so they're cheap as dirt. i bought one with 80k in great shape for $150. your EJ22 manifold will bolt right on top of it.

Well knowing what engine you have would help a lot to start with. )Phase 1 EJ22's and EJ18's are easy to pop the valvecovers off and pull the rocker arms off of. The lifters are contained in the tip of each rocker where it contacts the valve stem.

EJ25's only had hydro lash adjusters in 96. 97-99 are all shim in bucket design, and it's a PITA to adjust or even check them. What they do have is a lot of piston slap, which can sound like noisy lifters.

So what engine do you have?

Either way, replacing an engine to get rid of noisy lifters is a waste of effort and money. Phase 1 EJ SOHC valvetrains are super-easy to work on. Heck, you can even pull the heads off in car if you want, and it's really not hard. DOHC are a pain in the rump roast.

Don't go pouring crap oil additives into the motor. If you need to clean ************ out, pour a quart of dextron/mercon ATF in, Drive it for 15 mins, then change the oil and filter. The detergents in the additive package for ATF will do more to clean the engine than any snakeoil miracle in a bottle could hope for.

as far as i know the motor that i have is a 96 impreza L EJ2.2 single ohc single port exhaust i have never done a valve job on one of thise i have been told they have hydro lifters i should proly read my chiltons book but if any one has advice it would be greatly appreciated thx guys

as far as i know the motor that i have is a 96 impreza L EJ2.2 single ohc single port exhaust i have never done a valve job on one of thise i have been told they have hydro lifters i should proly read my chiltons book but if any one has advice it would be greatly appreciated thx guys

Before doing all that work, try adding the ATF to the oil as suggested earlier, then drive ez for about 15 minutes, or even just let idle for 15 minutes, then change oil and filter. I bet this will quiet things down.

ok the noise is on both sides now and it goes away and comes back, some times louder than others. It does sound just like standard lifter noise. It doesn't matter if its warm or cold it goes away for only ten seconds ish then comes right back, doesn't matter if im on the gas or not, it stays the same. its been doing it for a couple months. at first it wasn't constant, it sounded like it was low on oil, but now it is constant.

i'm gonna try the ATF thing when i have the money to change the oil. i'm just trying to understand more about this problem.

...i'm gonna try the ATF thing when i have the money to change the oil. ...

if you Really want to Try something on your Oil, I Kindly Suggest to Try with a Can of Marvel Mystery Oil (a.k.a: MMO) instead of ATF...

I had Hydraulic Lifters Noise in my Weekend Warrior Subie, I Solved it using first a can of MMO and after three months I changed the oil and used a can of "Hydro Stobel" which is an Oil Additive just for aid the Hydraulic Lifters, is Made in Germany by the Good Brand "Liqui-Moli" well known in our Market.

More informarion about it, here:

http://matrixsyntheticoils.com/store/product156.html

Kind Regards.